distributor gears and cam cores

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cknight

Re: distributor gears and cam cores

Post by cknight »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:47 am
CamKing wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:57 am
Flo wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:01 am I always make sure the block bushings are replaced / in really good shape.

As Walter pointed out, limited option for what is technically the oil pump drive gear on Mopar:

stock, bronze or steel from Crane

Mike, which of the above should I use with one of your hydraulic roller cams?
The Crane Melonized gear
Good to know, Mike.
Crane doesn't call their special gears "Melonized" which I think is the issue with making them known
221-69970-1 is the Crane part number for the Mopar gear. I just ordered one from Jeg's so I have it when I need it.
Melonizing/Melonized is a very well protected trade name. Many years ago, when Crane sent out their initial press release on their new "Melonized" gears, a "cease and desist" notice from the trademark holder was quickly sent to Crane. Crane changed the product's description to Coated Steel, and has continued with that. Regards, Chase
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

MadBill wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:05 pm
Perhaps camking will weigh in, but he put no restrictions on the 'cast gear' steel solid roller he did for my BBC. 0.720" lift, 250# seat load.
We've been running them in 8,000+rpm circle track engines for 20 years.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
V Remian

Post by V Remian »

Mike, I'm installing your cam R76424-77424 in a 440 Mopar w/a high volume oil pump. What dist gear should I run? I ask because Crane says high volume is a no-no with their coated gears.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

V Remian wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:25 pm Mike, I'm installing your cam R76424-77424 in a 440 Mopar w/a high volume oil pump. What dist gear should I run? I ask because Crane says high volume is a no-no with their coated gears.
How many miles will you be putting on it, in a year?
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
V Remian

Post by V Remian »

I'm guessing at least 1500.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

V Remian wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:12 am I'm guessing at least 1500.
Well, if Crane's meonized gear won't work, you'll have to go with a bronze gear.
I have not heard of Crane's gears, not working with a high volume pump. You may want to check with Crane again.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

V Remian wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:25 pm Mike, I'm installing your cam R76424-77424 in a 440 Mopar w/a high volume oil pump. What dist gear should I run? I ask because Crane says high volume is a no-no with their coated gears.
I am guessing that oil PRESSURE would have a lot more to do with gear wear than VOLUME but, most High Volume pumps also exhibit higher pressure.
However, the same oil p.s.i. on a larger gear would exhibit slightly more resistance.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

In the Crane catalog they caution against using a hv pump with the steel gears.
I’ve seen a few instances where the steel gear/billet cam situation didn’t pan out........ and it wore both the cam and drive gear about equally, instead of just the drive gear like what happens with the bronze gear.

In the case of BB Mopars, I don’t know if the quality of the gears has changed in the last 10-15 years or so, but it sure seems like the profile of the teeth on the cam are sharper and fatter near the outer edge than they used to be.
I have a an old roller here from “back in the day”, that from what I understand was ground on the old Crane 8620 core....... and the teeth on the gear have a nice chamfer on them.
I ran this cam for three seasons of bracket racing and two dyno sessions, and the bronze gear had almost no wear at all.
This was the scenario I was accustomed to for quite a while....... and when the Crane roller cores went away and got replaced with the new ones with fat sharp teeth...... the bronze gears started wearing quicker.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

0D6B229E-CBC2-4FC1-B3BE-5FCD7EB2D402.jpeg
54734675-EE2B-436C-A45A-5D13F7A090EA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

^^ yes, seems the biggest difference is the lack of a changer across the tooth outter edges. I have seen exactly the same on SBF and BBF cams
Craig.
V Remian

Post by V Remian »

After what Dwayne posted about potential cam wear, which was something in the back of my mind anyway, my mind is made up. Bronze it is. Especially since BBM is probably the easiest engine on earth to change the gear on. It will just have to a maintenance item to keep an eye on.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Why do some people have a giant issue with even trying a "composite" distributor gear ...? :-k

It's not 1980 anymore.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

in this article: https://www.onedirt.com/tech/selecting- ... e-details/ the Comp rep writes: "The composite gear is designed to wear out over time." Does that mean the main difference is the color of the wear particles in the oil?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:25 pm Why do some people have a giant issue with even trying a "composite" distributor gear ...? :-k

It's not 1980 anymore.
Purely psychological Walter! I have to admit even though Im sure they are great that I have a mental boundry there, probably for no reason. I have to use ine in my own stuff before in a customer's engine just to 'feel' better about them.
Whats your experience with them? Cheers,
Craig.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

cjperformance wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:14 am
Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:25 pm Why do some people have a giant issue with even trying a "composite" distributor gear ...? :-k

It's not 1980 anymore.
Purely psychological Walter! I have to admit even though Im sure they are great that I have a mental boundry there, probably for no reason. I have to use ine in my own stuff before in a customer's engine just to 'feel' better about them.
Whats your experience with them? Cheers,
With every one I have ever used, if the press on the shaft is merely .0010" and they are kept lubricated, they work very well. They certainly wear a lot longer than bronze.

I think most people's problem is with their cost.