Crankshaft straightening & x-ray

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

AC sports
Pro
Pro
Crankshaft straightening & x-ray

Post by AC sports »

I just finished cleaning a crank I intend to use and noticed it had 0.05mm ( 2 thou) run out on centre main. I pressed it in v blocks using a hydraulic press and it's now at 0.01mm and within spec. Problem is I went a little too far then had to press back and forth a couple of times.
Now I'm a little worried I may have induced cracks in it. The initial bend took a lot of poundage/ tonnage to achieve. Subsequent alterations didn't require as much poundage on the press.
Crank is 5 journal main, inline 4, forged but not sure if nitrided. Crank won't need grinding.
Q 1.
Now that I'm happy with the runout, how do I stress relieve it and make sure it doesn't return to its bent state whilst in service?
I've hit the fillet radius on centre main with a soft chisel a few times. ...but I'm not sure that's enough. I hear some people press left and right also as a stress reliever?
Q 2.
I don't have anyone local that can magnaflux it. I've used the kerosene and chalk dust trick in the past but I need something more conclusive here. Can I take it to my local radiologist and have it x rayed for cracks? I'm not sure how exactly they do it, but for me it's a lot easier than shipping it overseas to get magnafluxed and then I only find out if it's externally cracked and not internally flawed.
Suggestions welcome.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Crankshaft straightening & x-ray

Post by PackardV8 »

FWIW, I've been told by those in the business the small stresses you induced with those relatively small movements are insignificant in comparison to the stresses the crankshaft will experience in max effort running.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

You're overthinking it. I've had more than a dozen cranks, cast and forged, straightened and never had any failures. My guy mag's the cranks before he wastes time straighteneing them.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Post by MotionMachine »

Had you struck the crank in the radius with a rounded chisel, that .002" would have been gone in one try. It's very unlikely that you've produced any cracks from the pressing but magging is always a good idea.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

MotionMachine wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:25 pm Had you[ struck the crank in the radius with a rounded chisel, that .002" would have been gone in one try. It's very unlikely that you've produced any cracks from the pressing but magging is always a good idea.
(At the low side.)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

Ring like a bell when tapped?
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

If it makes a thud sound instead of ringing it is done!. toast.Kaput.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

You used a press?

My last trip to look at buying a crank manufacturer, he put one in a cradle, gently applied a dulled cold chisel and smartly applied a three pound maul...with style, verve, and a wee tad of alacrity.....

...with zero mention of inducing cracks.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I would think a press would be more likely to cause cracking.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I have always heard/read of straightening cranks with a big Ford tool and a dull cold chisel.

pdq67
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Commercial hydraulic crank presses exist for a reason.

That doesn't mean whacking them doesn't work. It just means there's a shortage of blacksmiths.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

It may be necessary to use a press or fixture for larger crankshafts, say, far beyond 3 inch journals, but in conjunction with peening, and possibly mild heating also.

One way to remove stress.....is to peen the raduis... that's not what you want to hear is it :lol:

If the crank did not need grinding, you probably wasted your time bending it, IMO. And it's probably ok, just run it.