not guess the hp but guess the ET??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

amc fan
Expert
Expert

Re: not guess the hp but guess the ET??

Post by amc fan »

AMXstocker1 when I read your post I knew what those heads are capable of flowing and what lift Mike squeezed in for me when he reground an old Howards roller that i had.... Adkins knows his stuff! He helps a SS/C racer that lives near me and i am pretty sure he does the cylinder head porting for him... 291c's and he goes so fast ... Hey your car looks awesome and I am sure it will run as good as it looks!
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

Adkins is a great resource, and his car is proof he knows what he's doing. we got the car running yesterday and everything looks good, just hoping for good weather somewhere this coming weekend so we can start making passes and getting it dialed in.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Not sure why you felt it was needed to fill in the ports for the new combo? With the converter, compression and cam and gear you have, it will be slower. Its NOT about the most velocity. That's all you did. Make the head flow more, but made it smaller. For your application, it will be slower. All you care about is 6400 and up. Below 6400 is ABSOLUTELY MEANINGLESS in a drag car with a 6400 converter.
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

They were filled to meet class rules we run a local stockblock headsup class that has a 230cc intake runner max. So they have been ported and moved and filled, if this class goes away or we go a different direction the epoxy will come out.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

AMXstocker1 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:55 am They were filled to meet class rules we run a local stockblock headsup class that has a 230cc intake runner max. So they have been ported and moved and filled, if this class goes away or we go a different direction the epoxy will come out.
Ahhh, ok, that makes sense then.
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

got it fired up sunday everything looks good, loading up tomorrow to head too Cordova Illinois, to the amc races i'll keep post on what it does.

https://youtu.be/nWYMm1aHaAg
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

AMXstocker1 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:37 pm got it fired up sunday everything looks good, loading up tomorrow to head too Cordova Illinois, to the amc races i'll keep post on what it does.

https://youtu.be/nWYMm1aHaAg
I like Cordova, will be there mid October trying to run a 4.6X in legal Ultra trim naturally aspirated. Good luck. That's a jaunt for you. If you haven't been there before, the track is good, they prep it well, the air should be ok.
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

We come here once a year for this race not normally with a brand new engine, but hopefully the ran holds off and passes are made tomorrow.
Biteme
Pro
Pro

Post by Biteme »

9.65@138 eventually
First up 9.78@136

Or 1/8 mile 6.3@106mph
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

alright bad weekend made about a 1/4 of a pass left of the t-brake at half throttle car left feeling good i went a head and floored it shift 1-2 it came back strong shifted to high then saw smoke lifted looked at oil presure still had 20psi blipped it it didn't come up so i shut it off and costed to the return road got out looked under the car nothing took the hood off and water was everywhere, so i called my dad to come get me and engine builder pulls up behind me after making his pass and stops and gets out to check a plug and i tell him i think it pushed a head gasket because theres water and he says probably just over full and burped, i said ok so we take it back to the pits and prime the oil pump oil pressure lookes good pulled plugs they looked lean but not bad put some jet in it reassembled and spun it and no water comes out put plugs back in start it up we have good oil pressure and it sounds good but when you rev it you can watch water shoot to the catch can. so its pressurizing the cooling system somewhere so we drained the water started it and put it in the trailer. we'll be pulling the heads tomorrow.

oh went 6.73 1/8th at 95
and 12.02 1/4 at 73
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

keep us posted, Hoping its not to serious.
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

heads and block look good, looks like a failed gasket, so what do you guys coat your cometic mls gaskets with or do you put them on dry like the manufacture suggest ???
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

AMXstocker1 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:41 pm....so what do you guys coat your cometic mls gaskets with or do you put them on dry like the manufacture suggest ???
For me, dry on the initial install. On a reuse, a light spray of Hylomar works. Some use the Hylomar on new ones, as well.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

Ought to have a real nice crisp exhaust note with that compression!
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

With all you're describing at 3160 lbs, I'd be pretty upset if it didn't run at least 5.9x / 9.3x ET.

If your heads & block are flat & surface finish is correct, you should not have to put sealer on MLS head gaskets. Regardless, sealer will not stop combustion gas leaks and that is what you experienced.

Chances are, your head torquing procedure involved a 2 or 3-step process with incrementally higher torque values in each step. That's not a great method. Instead, do the 3-step process then leave it sit for a couple of hours. Then, go back and loosen/tighten each fastener (in sequence) to final targeted torque values. You'll probably see 10° or more of additional fastener rotation by doing it this way.