Best Iron Bur for removing metal fast without pressure?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Best Iron Bur for removing metal fast without pressure?

Post by NXBOY »

Hi, I got a set of Dove heads I want to do for my own 429 and with problems in neck been putting off. I know I have found not all burs cut the same even double cut ones. I would think the 1/2 cylinder round tip would be best. Need to know what company sells the big bur thats sharp and doesn't take much pressure like ones I found in past. Maybe smaller bur? Air grinders aren't fun after a while anyway. Goodson or Cylinder Heads supply or maybe BEAM was my thoughts. The local ones seem dull when new and not sharp to fingers when rolled along with just other hand lol.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Re: Best Iron Bur for removing metal fast without pressure?

Post by Carnut1 »

Buckeye carbide 5/8" oval double cut, single cut, 45 degree helix, 6" shaft. Use low speed while breaking it in. Any of these cut fast. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

The flame shape Burr ( 4 and 5 from the left) are my go to Burr for fast meat removal if you do not need a to grind a tight radius.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Brian W
Pro
Pro

Post by Brian W »

http://www.ruffstuff.com/
They have a burr that looks like a alumacut but its for cast iron... It cuts better then anuything I have tried and lasts a long time.
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

Brian W wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:59 pm http://www.ruffstuff.com/
They have a burr that looks like a alumacut but its for cast iron... It cuts better then anuything I have tried and lasts a long time.
Yes, their double cut will throw shards very quickly.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

There are many good burrs on the market, sold under various brand names and I am under the impression that one or two manufacturers produce the majority of them. Spend the extra bucks on solid carbide tools and remember that you will probably need at least three or four different sizes and shapes to successfully remove metal from the ports. Use suitable eye and ear protection, as well.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

Thanks, got about a dozen of more Burs. Just about have wiplash and know I shouldn't tackle these Bigblock FORD Exhaust ports anymore. But I never listened to my body, but atleast I using strategy now lol. Thanks for the Advise. I hate them Theractor bumps!