Need help with this unique combination.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jet1
Pro
Pro

Need help with this unique combination.

Post by jet1 »

I have talked a little about this deal before on her but now I have settled on a platform and have most of the parts worked out. What I am looking for from all the massive brains here on this forum is if I am correct in my thinking or if there are things that I should be doing different.
First the application is extreme endurance racing. periods of around 40 min at wot are not uncommon. Cooling is not an issue as it is in a boat. The class I am in dictated less than 260 ci if I am forced induction.
What I am thinking
GM ls9 block(it comes with oil squirters and larger head bolts form factory, is alum and rated for at least 900 hp)
bore would 4.065 x 2.5 stroke (only because the block is 4.065)
Mast 285 cc head with inconnel valves and shaft rockers
camshaft hydraulic roller .650-.700 lift 245 ish dur
Vortech v30-94 a super charger running 15-20 lbs boost
oiling system I am going back and forth from a daley dry sump to just a good wet sump.(piston speed is only 3100 at 7500rpm and not sure how much windage with only 2.5" stroke.
fuel I am planning on running is e85 with Holley fuel injection.
user-17438

Re: Need help with this unique combination.

Post by user-17438 »

jet1 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:36 pm I have talked a little about this deal before on her but now I have settled on a platform and have most of the parts worked out. What I am looking for from all the massive brains here on this forum is if I am correct in my thinking or if there are things that I should be doing different.
First the application is extreme endurance racing. periods of around 40 min at wot are not uncommon. Cooling is not an issue as it is in a boat. The class I am in dictated less than 260 ci if I am forced induction.
What I am thinking
GM ls9 block(it comes with oil squirters and larger head bolts form factory, is alum and rated for at least 900 hp)
oiling system I am going back and forth from a daley dry sump to just a good wet sump.(piston speed is only 3100 at 7500rpm and not sure how much windage with only 2.5" stroke.
With that short of a stroke why not use a low deck ford block. You will have a terrible rod ratio
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

You could always use a 90degree Chevrolet 6 as the platform.
jet1
Pro
Pro

Post by jet1 »

Roughly the same price and and 150lbs heavier plus would need to machine in oil squirters for it to viable.
jet1
Pro
Pro

Post by jet1 »

MTENGINES wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:37 pm
jet1 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:36 pm I have talked a little about this deal before on her but now I have settled on a platform and have most of the parts worked out. What I am looking for from all the massive brains here on this forum is if I am correct in my thinking or if there are things that I should be doing different.
What I am thinking
With that short of a stroke why not use a low deck ford block. You will have a terrible rod ratio
I have discussed that with some piston guys at mahle and was told it was not an issue at my rpm and with forced induction.
jet1
Pro
Pro

Post by jet1 »

MTENGINES wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:37 pm
What I am thinking
The Ford would work but the sytems that I have and for parts availability from other racers to borrow if needed( starter ,alt , coils,ets) the lS is a much better choice for me.
jet1
Pro
Pro

Post by jet1 »

MTENGINES wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:39 pm You could always use a 90degree Chevrolet 6 as the platform.
There is a host of 6 cylinder engines I could use but in order to keep simpler and parts availability to borrow if needed from other racer an LS is the best.
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

Well if you are set on this combo. What is your question?
jet1
Pro
Pro

Post by jet1 »

Yes my question is not what block to use per say, it is mostly regarding, heads, do I need to run a dry sump, thoughts on being able to run a hyd roller cam, are there quench issues running 20lbs of boost, valve spring cooling,