Daily Driver Quiet Exhaust

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bigpoppapreston

Daily Driver Quiet Exhaust

Post by bigpoppapreston »

I've searched and read several posts stating that going to a smaller diameter tailpipe over the rear axle (for cars with live axles) will quiet it down quite a bit. I have a Chrysler 300c that should put down 450whp with a 3 inch exhaust. It has a x-pipe and 20" case length dynomax ultraflow mufflers. Im thinking about going to 2.5 after the mufflers and add either bullets, round or shorter ultraflow mufflers at the bumper. Of course I do not want any performance drop. Thinking about running 2.5" tips instead of the pretty 3.5" tips. The combination is: 11.25:1 compression stock bottom end 345 hemi with cnc ported 6.1 heads, ported 6.1 intake, 234/242 .595/596" cam on a 112, 1 7/8" equal length headers. Want it quiet.
-Poppy
Tuner
Guru
Guru
Re: Daily Driver Quiet Exhaust

Post by Tuner »

Whet kind of muffler is on the 600+ HP Cadillac CTS-V? I don't recall hearing one, so they must be pretty quiet.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Look into DynoMax super turbo mufflers.
Jim
nabx22

Post by nabx22 »

Pypes race flow are what I have on a 13.5.1 bbc they are quiet.The race flow is quieter than any of pypes other mufflers
emsvitil
Pro
Pro

Post by emsvitil »

If it's just a specific rpm/speed that bothers you, you could install a 1/4 wave resonator in the exhaust system.
Ed
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

77cruiser wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:32 am Look into DynoMax super turbo mufflers.
This!!
Look up the 3" offset/offset for the Dodge Durango..bought a set for my A body, 22" long they do NOT neck down inside like some other models.
That will quiet it down big time. THey sound exactly like your ultraflows just way quieter.
I heard they are discontinuing that line so get em while you can.
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

I consider my Monte SS to be pretty quiet.
Behind the Hooker # 2455 2 inch headers is a Pypes 2 1/2 inch universal w/X pipe to Dynomax Super Turbo # 17734 mufflers,14 inches long then 2 1/4 inch tailpipes going over the axle.
The wife and I have gone on several long highway trips and she has never once complained about it being too loud.
We can listen to the radio with the windows open and not crank up the volume too much.
Not once in 17 years have I ever been pulled over by the police or DOT for excessive noise.
I've had several comments on how good it sounds over the years.
It might not be 100 % ideal for making the ultimate in power,but it seems to work pretty good,and If needed,I have flanges on the mufflers so it is pretty easy to remove the exhaust from the headers back.
Guy
'86 Monte SS,513 BBC,AFR heads,Bullet solid roller cam,Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,Hurst Inline Shifter,Ford 9 inch Rearend.