Circle track cooling tips

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

user-23911

Re: Circle track cooling tips

Post by user-23911 »

No, I only ever use electric fans these days and when you're moving, they reduce airflow. You're better off without them unless you get stuck in traffic.
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

AFCO, ALLSTAR (can be found at summitracing.com) and a few other brands carry 4 blade fans but are like 28-29 degree pitch, the real 4 blade you want has roughly 38 degree pitch which is a gm part number 405442 if you can find one, mostly likely EBAY. All others may vary between 28-32 degrees. Straight water with redline water wetter, no restrictors, no thermostat unless its a colder climate. If radiator gets muddy quite a bit, rinse it and wash the best you can. If temps creep up after a few weeks, pull radiator and drain. Let it full dry. You can drop it from about 4-5 inches off the ground, and on a flat concrete surface it'll break a lot of clay loose. Once you get no more clay, spray with a strong degreaser, let soak about an hour then soak either in a kiddie pool or pressure wash with wide nozzle tip so as not to bend fins.
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

KnightEngines wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:11 am Or you could just fit an electric pump.
Not a good plan.

Mileage may vary, but popular electric pumps rated at 55 gpm will only flow about 7-8 gpm on an assembled LS engine. Jacket pressure is essentially "nothing"

By contrast, a stock Camaro LS3 water pump will flow about 100 gpm at around 9K RPM pump speed and it will produce over 100 psig pressure in the block jackets, about 90 psig in the rear of the cylinder heads, and about 70 psig at the front of the heads (near outlet passage back to block).

If it's not overheating in junk air then overheating in good air, that says it's either going lean or extra combustion pressure from good air is causing separation between the heads & block.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

also corrugated type hose is a no no as it causes restriction and turbulence to the water flow. I was told you need a minimum of 60 PSI internal block pressure in a race engine
ssregal39

Post by ssregal39 »

My current set up on my dirt sportsman is a Howe 19x31 single pass, jones 17" 3 blade with a nice home made shroud, 1:1 pulleys and no thermostat with a closed nose. Granted mine is 7000 rpm and compression being 10.8. 210 at the end of a 20 lap feature.
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

Here a few quick tips.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tracyracin

Post by tracyracin »

Well the cooling tips seemed to have helped a little guys thank you. Weather conditions were similar to last week and I made all 25 laps in the feature. Temp got to 230 at the end. Between the heat and feature I changed jets because the car had what I describe as a surge going down the straights. After the jet change it was better but was still noticeable. Not sure what's going on but it definitely feels like a fuel issue