My off the wall thought for the day. Gear drive sbc

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Little Mouse
Expert
Expert
Re: My off the wall thought for the day. Gear drive sbc

Post by Little Mouse »

Pdq 67. You bought an eagle 3.00 stroke crank have you had the machining on it checked out. There the only company that has a 3.00 or 3.25 crank thats affordable. I rarely ever buy a rag-azine but there was an old article by yunick on oiling systems in a emc rag i did buy and keep. One of the rags did a test on a 440 chysler they used a chain, belt, pete jackson dual idler and a milidon three gear. There was 1 hp difference in all of them tested. I would never use the dual idler but the milidon would use in a new york minute. The extra cost only thing that hurts.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Isn't the mean sound with straight cut gears worth at least another hp?
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Lol hey pete jackson even has a more noisy verson. Pretty sure i heard one coming down the road in a pickup then pull in to the filling station i was at. Probably had a comp muther thumper cam to.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Little Mouse wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:30 am Isky has a cam gear drive with just a gear for the cam and one for crank seems like nothing to fail any thoughts on it compaired to something like a milidon three gear drive.
A solution in search of a problem. :wink:
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:02 am Isn't the mean sound with straight cut gears worth at least another hp?
It just has to be. Probably more.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Little Mouse wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:57 am Pdq 67. You bought an eagle 3.00 stroke crank have you had the machining on it checked out. There the only company that has a 3.00 or 3.25 crank thats affordable. I rarely ever buy a rag-azine but there was an old article by yunick on oiling systems in a emc rag i did buy and keep. One of the rags did a test on a 440 chysler they used a chain, belt, pete jackson dual idler and a milidon three gear. There was 1 hp difference in all of them tested. I would never use the dual idler but the milidon would use in a new york minute. The extra cost only thing that hurts.
No, it and a bunch more new parts are still sitting in the corner of my bedroom. I'm hoping to make a short-stroke 8,000 rpm, 325" engine before I die I have two 400 SBC blocks.

Have everything except a set of gaskets, a steel balancer and a steel flywheel.. Oh, and a timing chain set and a new oil pump...

pdq67
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

The real problem I have with the gear drive stuff is the noise level. It tends to mask any other sounds your engine might make that you would like to pay attention to..
So much to do, so little time...
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

I always liked the whine of an m22 even though i always had an m21.
Last edited by Little Mouse on Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

pdq67 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:52 am
Little Mouse wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:57 am Pdq 67. You bought an eagle 3.00 stroke crank have you had the machining on it checked out. There the only company that has a 3.00 or 3.25 crank thats affordable. I rarely ever buy a rag-azine but there was an old article by yunick on oiling systems in a emc rag i did buy and keep. One of the rags did a test on a 440 chysler they used a chain, belt, pete jackson dual idler and a milidon three gear. There was 1 hp difference in all of them tested. I would never use the dual idler but the milidon would use in a new york minute. The extra cost only thing that hurts.
No, it and a bunch more new parts are still sitting in the corner of my bedroom. I'm hoping to make a short-stroke 8,000 rpm, 325" engine before I die I have two 400 SBC blocks.

Have everything except a set of gaskets, a steel balancer and a steel flywheel.. Oh, and a timing chain set and a new oil pump...

pdq67
I had a 310/320 dur. 560/580, 108 crower in a 454 not near as much fun as the 331 i built using a 140 cam. Nice thing about small sbc when they do come on the cam you really feel it and the higher pitch sound better then a rat. I always say the sbc is the poor mans ferrari. I had three 4 bolt sbc blocks i kept two with the 3482 caps and i had a 4 bolt 454/ 450 hp 70 block. I kept it on my engine stand next door neighbor kept drooling all over my 4 bolt bbc block till i sold it to him. My second car was a new 69 Z/28 i blame it for my sbc disease
I had two camaros and 4 corvettes when i was young. The 66 vette 427/425 and the 69 Z only cars i would like to have back.
Last edited by Little Mouse on Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

swampbuggy wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:55 pm What do the Outlaw Winged Sprint Cars use to drive (turn) their camshafts ??? Mark H. :wink:
Why?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

I used a dual idler gear cam drive because the customer wanted it and on tear down for refreshing I found 1 of the "dog bones" cracked almost all the way thru.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Little Mouse wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:02 pm
pdq67 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:52 am

pdq67
I had a 310/320 dur. 560/580, 108 crower in a 454 not near as much fun as the 331 i built using a 140 cam. Nice thing about small sbc when they do come on the cam you really feel it and the higher pitch sound better then a rat. I always say the sbc is the poor mans ferrari. I had three 4 bolt sbc blocks i kept two with the 3482 caps and i had a 4 bolt 454/ 450 hp 70 block. I kept it on my engine stand next door neighbor kept drooling all over my 4 bolt bbc block till i sold it to him. My second car was a new 69 Z/28 i blame it for my sbc disease
I had two camaros and 4 corvettes when i was young. The 66 vette 427/425 and the 69 Z only cars i would like to have back.
I know that it wasn't the best or most powerful engine that I've ever had, but my old junk301 that I made out of junk parts was a real hoot to drive once she was, as the 2-stroke guys say, "up on the pipe!!"..

This is why I want to build my 325! I'm going to shift it at 8,000 rpm even if I won't make anymore power up there just for the fun of it..

It's gonna be like my junk301 was when a buddy and I would make a beer run and me in low gear as I went up, up, up! he'd look over at me and say, "Whenna you gonna shift her?.. With new points, at about 7,500 rpm....

He, He!!

pdq67
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

Random comment for today.......Bob Bracken of Rollmaster and Romac fame started the timing chain side of his business in Brisbane, Australia because he was sick of changing the fiber gears in his wife's Holden....
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

I started to have some problems with the points bouncing on my 69 Z. I cut the spring off a second set of points and put it behind another set of points. It worked and did not seem to whare the points block any quicker. I bought a new mallory YL dual point that was a 4 lobe used it in some other cars. Made a mistake threw it away over the years they no longer sell them or i would buy another 1.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

engineguyBill wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:37 pm I don't recall any GM trucks having two gear camshaft drive systems, EXCEPT for some of the straight six cylinder stuff that had a fiber cam gear,
I haven't either. Worked in a Chevy dealership as a truck tech for 11 years, starting in 1976. The truck manual had a photo of a BBC with a two gear cam drive but never seen one in real life. They all had double row chain sets.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine