My off the wall thought for the day. Gear drive sbc

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Little Mouse
Expert
Expert
Re: My off the wall thought for the day. Gear drive sbc

Post by Little Mouse »

Theres two things im going to have a shaft rocker system and a gear drive most likey a milidon.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Little Mouse Shaver makes a quality gear drive from what i have been told. But the Milodon is a good product for sure. Mark H. :)
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Ya probably just come down to price.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Muldoon gear drive, ftw :mrgreen:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

thats what ill call it muldoon lol. Long time ago one of my friends liked lunati cams so i would call them lunitic cams. I liked crane cams so he would call them crap cams.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24457

I don't think Muldoon is around anymore, I was poking a little fun because they were inexpensive and I never had a problem with the quality.
-Carl
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Muldoon was Don Alderson, founder of Milodon.
The Muldoons were his after he sold the company and got bored.

Come to think of it Muldoon was Alderson's nickname.
He passed in 2001 and the company just faded away.
Last edited by Dave Koehler on Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Thanks for the clarification, Dave. I thought I remembered that from years ago, my forgetery is getting way too much overtime pay these days. :lol:
-Carl
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

I don't recall any GM trucks having two gear camshaft drive systems, EXCEPT for some of the straight six cylinder stuff that had a fiber cam gear, designed to keep noise levels in control. GM did (maybe still does) offer two gear camshaft drive to be used in twin engine (reverse rotation) marine applications. Donovan and Milodon do offer good quality gear drive systems, but in my opinion the best camshaft drive by far is the belt drive as offered by Jesel, etc. Reverse rotation camshaft is not a problem with two gear drive system, as any of the major cam manufacturers can grind the cam for reverse rotation.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

engineguyBill wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:37 pm I don't recall any GM trucks having two gear camshaft drive systems, EXCEPT for some of the straight six cylinder stuff that had a fiber cam gear, designed to keep noise levels in control. GM did (maybe still does) offer two gear camshaft drive to be used in twin engine (reverse rotation) marine applications. Donovan and Milodon do offer good quality gear drive systems, but in my opinion the best camshaft drive by far is the belt drive as offered by Jesel, etc. Reverse rotation camshaft is not a problem with two gear drive system, as any of the major cam manufacturers can grind the cam for reverse rotation.
https://books.google.com/books?id=Mx7cn ... ms&f=false
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

here you go
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Dave Koehler wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:53 pm Off the wall response.
What timing set you choose depends on what you are building.
Are you building something or just throwing stuff out to see what sticks?
Any relation to PDQ?
Well I'm here now..

If I recall right, the Stude V-8's use 2-gear drives and have always used solid lifter cams. The two gears were dammed near indestructible!

Personally I like Chevy's nylon tooth chain drives, but over time and heat cycles, the plastic tends to fail so you have to watch them.

I think that it was either Smokey or Grumpy that used them because the plastic dampened unwanted harmonics best.

pdq67
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

In 78 i bought a new 3/4 ton pickup with a 454. At 48,000 miles i pulled off the freeway into a mcdonalds to get a hambuger came out to start the pickup it sheard all the teeth off the cam gear. Gm in the fifties up into the 60s had 52 percent of the entire world market, ford and chysler had the another 25 percent of the world market. Just a few years ago gm was put completely out of business by the japanese with the government in receivership of it and they put someone else in charge of it.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

When my father passed in 2009 i ended up with his 99 jaguar xj8 vaden plas only had 56,000 miles on it. Went to start it in the garage all it would do is stumble and die was thinking maybe the fuel pump was trying to quit on it again, sob to replace tank over the top of the rear end in the trunk. Jaguar when they made the inline six from what i understand they had a dual chain and metal tensioners. In a brilant move when they came out with the 4.0 liter V8 they decided to use a single chain with fiber upper and lower chain tensioner to make it a bit quiter and supposedly to help fuel consumption. They ended up with a reputation of skiping a couple teeth and putting the valves into the pistons. Then in 2002 the hard headed bastards came out with an improved fiber version that helped but did not fix the problem. In 2005 they made the same engine in a 4.2 liter and put steel parts in the tensioner problem fixed. Only good news to the story you can go down to jaguar or buy the kit online to put the steel stuff in your 4.0 liter V8.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Just thought I would throw in that the fiber timing gears (against steel) in the old Dauphine/4CV/Floride engines can and will strip if you use them after they have been soaking in used engine oil for 40 or 50 years. Sat on the sunny side of I5 in the Central Valley for quite a spell contemplating that foolish move. :lol:
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!