Interesting SBF issue....

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

blykins
Guru
Guru

Interesting SBF issue....

Post by blykins »

I'm building a 460 Windsor for a customer. Dart SHP 9.5" block. Hydraulic roller camshaft, with OEM style lifters, dogbones, lifter spider, etc.

The Dart SHP block is supposed to be priority main....i.e. the oil comes up the front from the oil pump, down the main oil galley to feed mains/rods, up the back of the block, and then feeds both lifter passages.

My SOP is to put oil in the pan and prime the pump with the intake manifold off just to make sure there aren't any oiling issues. I primed and got oil to all the lifters. Didn't see anything abnormal.

Popped the intake manifold on, pushrods, rocker arms, ran the valves, then primed the pump again.

All 16 rocker arms are oiling, but I'm getting a GUSH of oil out of #1 intake rocker arm.

The rear rockers on the passenger side should get oil first and the last one to get oil on that side should be the #1 intake rocker.

I pulled the rear passenger side galley plug out and, sure enough, there's a passage leading up from the main oil galley at the rear, and the instant that I move the pump priming tool with my hand, there's oil there.

What am I missing here? Why is there a flood of oil coming from only one rocker, and it's coming from the rocker that should be on the end of the feed?

I don't remember there being anything abnormal when I washed the block and cleaned the passages out, but is it possible that they connected the main galley to the passenger side lifter galley at the front as well? To my knowledge, SHP and Sportsman blocks are not that way, but the Iron Eagle blocks are made like that and are made to be restricted either at the front or the rear, depending on which end you're pushing the oil from.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: Interesting SBF issue....

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Maybe just the lifter?
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

That's the only thing I can think of, Keith. The odd thing is that it pumps up correctly. Maybe it's just metering more?

I got to thinking about previous builds and even on Iron Eagle SBF blocks that oil the lifters from both ends, I've never seen a gusher like this.
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Does it still gush if you turn the crank a bit, then a bit further?

No cup or galley plugs seated in too far? (I’ve never used one of these blocks so not sure if this is even a possibility or not, just thinking out loud)

Possibly some lifters with trash in them? I had a sbc one time that I couldn’t get any oil out of about 3/4 of pushrods...found most of the lifters plugged up with styrofoam from the lifter packaging
numboltz

Post by numboltz »

Isn't the easy way out to just swap the lifter/pushrod combo for another one and see if the
problem migrates with it?
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Maybe the metering valve disc was left out of the lifter?
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

Pulled the intake, pulled another box of lifters off the shelf and stabbed a single in. No more gushing.

I will have to say, I have had the opposite problem but I’ve never seen a lifter gush oil like that.
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

WOW hand primer to boot! That is why you have to check everything. Good job!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Good catch =D> =D> Thats why we get paid the big bucks. :D
Its not the 1st time I have seen that issue.
Machine assembled parts are a engineering marvel but they do go sideways from time to time.
Lifters are a PITA at the best of times but yes it seems no matter the quality we still have the need to confirm all the internal parts are in the correct installed order or even installed for that matter.

Thats why when ever possible I alway disassemble and check all lifters for correct assembly or internal parts and that they are orientated correctly
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

That's my first gusher LOL

I've had ones that didn't oil....I've had ones that wouldn't stay pumped up, but never had one that bled out like that.

It's gonna go on the dyno and I'm glad I prime early in the build. If I would have had low oil pressure on the dyno, I never would have figured it out.
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

af2 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:53 pm WOW hand primer to boot! That is why you have to check everything. Good job!
Yes, it was literally a pair of vice-grips on a priming tool so that I could video at the same time....turning with one hand.
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
bigmike

Post by bigmike »

Never seen that one before.
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

Just wondering, do you not check lifter bore clearance? Or was it the oil band? Depending on who's lifters you buy, sometimes you need 2 or 3 sets to get them within .0005" now if they are some cheap economy I have seen them .0015" difference. If you aren't cheap they are usually more accurate then my means of measuring.

So some can be .0017 clearance and high side .0032" that's a big difference.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Do not see how this problem could be a lifter bore clearance issue, if that is what the suggestion is.