408 WINSDOR ford stroker

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

hadmtrst
408 WINSDOR ford stroker

Post by hadmtrst »

any advise on winsdor block & oil system mod s for a wet sump,attempting to be in the 600 hp range single 4barrel,mud drag race truck application,head & CAM,brand of reliable parts recommendations ?like to stay with iron heads, thanks HAD
bobalattie
Re: 408 WINSDOR ford stroker

Post by bobalattie »

N351 heads, hard to beat for an iron head.. the flow numbers don’t look great, but they flow consistently north of .800 lift, 10* valve angle and dual quench surfaces make broad power and they only need 28* of total timing, they don’t have a problem making 600hp with relative ease

Put an oil cooler on it, the big main journal diameters create a lot of heat..
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

hadmtrst wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:39 pm any advise on winsdor block & oil system mod s for a wet sump,attempting to be in the 600 hp range single 4barrel,mud drag race truck application,head & CAM,brand of reliable parts recommendations ?like to stay with iron heads, thanks HAD
I have one for sale; much less expensive than you could build one ... the Engine Masters Engine I ran last year in the contest.
Only has dyno time on it. Has CNC'd aluminum heads though
Private Message me if you have an interest.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

With a Head like a Dart iron 200 cc iron That flows 285 Intake cfm you should have no issue making 600 hp even with just a 10 to 1 comp provided the headers tune well and are not larger the 1 3/4" ID.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks »

I've got one Vizard and Terry Walters put together sitting on a stand, dynoed over 600 hp, Kansas City area if you are interested. mj-brooksathotmaildotcom.
powerhouse

Post by powerhouse »

hadmtrst wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:39 pm any advise on winsdor block & oil system mod s for a wet sump,attempting to be in the 600 hp range single 4barrel,mud drag race truck application,head & CAM,brand of reliable parts recommendations ?like to stay with iron heads, thanks HAD
Assuming your using a stock block i would half fill the water jackets, set main bearing clearence at .003-.0035",
Coated cam bearings and restrict oil to them, restrict oil to the topend. Ford racing used to sell a restrictor kit. Not surr if they still do as i just make my own.
Heads you have the n351, dart/world products , or if you can find them an old set of iron tfs highports. If it were mine id search for a set of highports but the others will get the job done also . Darts/world will definately need portwork to get you there. I cant comment on the n351 because its been years since ive seen a set and dont recall how the ports are or flow #'s.
Powerhouse Performance Machine
Andrew Jeffery
508-328-9884
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

This is really slow this morning, triple posts

Excapt for the water-jacket filling, IF you did it this way you would be doing yourself a disservice for longevity and reliability.
Last edited by Walter R. Malik on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.