BBC Hyd roller lifters

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

vht
BBC Hyd roller lifters

Post by vht »

What is the best Hyd roller lifter for a BBC? Looking at Howards Max effort, Lunati and the short travel Comp lifters. Always ran solid rollers so don't know much about these, cam is a 600 lift cam, I'd say around 150 lb of spring pressure.
rp930
Pro
Pro
Re: BBC Hyd roller lifters

Post by rp930 »

Morel 5374 should work if it’s a retro fit.
cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors »

rp930 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:04 am Morel 5374 should work if it’s a retro fit.
...which is the 91167 Howards lifter. Used several sets of them. Work great for 6-6200 rpm. More than that I would use the Morel 4603.
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
Cylinder Head Fixture for Vertical / Surfacing Mills since 2008
vht

Post by vht »

Leaning toward the 91167 Howards, my engine guy says to use the short travel Comps which I was planning to do but doing some research I've heard"very noisey, hard to adjust, and a few other problems. Don't know how they could be hard to adjust and a little noise won't bother me, I had one set of Lunati's that sounded like solids, only time I've had experience with a hyd roller. I ran a set of Morel solid rollers in my 434, SB, 657 lift for 10,000 miles on the street with no problems. Only problem is this is a 427, .030 over BBC and it'll need a little RPM ever so often. If I didn't already have it built, I'd went with a 496 but I got to much in this now to sell it. This little 28 ford sedan shouldn't weigh a whole lot. Should move along pretty good.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Stay away from the comp lifters. As mentioned the morel lifters are your best choice.
Depending on where you buy them the cost may vary making the comp lifters look attractive price wise but in reality they are an inferior product on so many levels compared to the morels.
I have used the howards with no issues to date but they are not a true morel they are designed by the original designer that designed the morel lifters or so I am told by the howards tech guys on more then 1 occasion.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors