Coating for Titanium valves

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Coating for Titanium valves

Post by swampbuggy »

Going to be buying Del-West Titanium valves for S.B.C. Dart 9 degree heads 2.200" w/5/16" stem w/hard tips Exh. 1.625" w/5/16" stem w/hard tips, length yet to be determined. I know that there are "at least" two different coatings for valve stems, was wanting to get opinions on which coating would be best suited for each type of valve---Intake and Exhaust ? Guides are top quality bronze alloy, do not know EXACTLY what it is ? Valve seals will be the kind that allow a SMALL amount of oil to reach the guides. Thanks to all who respond to my post, Mark H. :wink:
user-30257

Re: Coating for Titanium valves

Post by user-30257 »

Valve guides are integral o-ring? Why not tell delwest the application, usage, preferred clearance, fuel type and hp potential.

There are stem coatings, lock coatings, head coatings neck. Etc. You could spend a lot of money and not see a difference.
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

swampbuggy wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:13 pm Going to be buying Del-West Titanium valves for S.B.C. Dart 9 degree heads 2.200" w/5/16" stem w/hard tips Exh. 1.625" w/5/16" stem w/hard tips, length yet to be determined. I know that there are "at least" two different coatings for valve stems, was wanting to get opinions on which coating would be best suited for each type of valve---Intake and Exhaust ? Guides are top quality bronze alloy, do not know EXACTLY what it is ? Valve seals will be the kind that allow a SMALL amount of oil to reach the guides. Thanks to all who respond to my post, Mark H. :wink:
Del West has traditionally manufactured valves by undercutting the stems and filling with moly. A few years ago they started offering valves with no moly in the stem, they just coat the entire valve, stem included.
I have used both, took a little while to get my nerve up to try the newer version.

Whichever stem coating you decide on, definitely get the head/seat area coated. A coated valve will last significantly longer and the seats will be happier.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

I think they offer chromium nitride as standard, and titanium aluminum nitride as an upgrade.

And i think they are also doing optional dlc stems
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

englertracing wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:42 pm I think they offer chromium nitride as standard, and titanium aluminum nitride as an upgrade.

And i think they are also doing optional dlc stems
They have a few more than you may think. It's best to call. They have a Teflon type, moly, CRN,DLC, cermet, some anodizing.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Yeah im sure they do,
But anodize is trash, thats the budget coating that wears out fast on stock mx bike ti valves.
Bettet than uncoated but still garbage.

Molly to me is oldschool and what was ran on old stuff with uncoated heads.

Im not really seeing why you wouldnt just chromium nitride them
Neal Arnold

Post by Neal Arnold »

The full coverage Crn is the best choice! They can take a beating and still look brand new.
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

swampbuggy wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:13 pm Going to be buying Del-West Titanium valves for S.B.C. Dart 9 degree heads 2.200" w/5/16" stem w/hard tips Exh. 1.625" w/5/16" stem w/hard tips, length yet to be determined. I know that there are "at least" two different coatings for valve stems, was wanting to get opinions on which coating would be best suited for each type of valve---Intake and Exhaust ? Guides are top quality bronze alloy, do not know EXACTLY what it is ? Valve seals will be the kind that allow a SMALL amount of oil to reach the guides. Thanks to all who respond to my post, Mark H. :wink:
What is the build?
Why not just ask the company you are buying from?
Maybe you need DLC tips maybe you don't.
Maybe you want Ceramic coating. Maybe you don't need.

If you have an unlimited budget, tell them. If you don't, tell them. Simple.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

I was told the way to go was titanium aluminum nitride, and chromium nitride, one on the stem, one on the head, i do not remember which was supposed to be where.
Anyone know?
And how about dlc stems? Slicker and harder?

Mtn
What is the ceramic coating? Like a heat resistant coating?
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Crn or DLC are the best valve head coatings. Moly is still used for stem coating on many race valves used today.
I would contact Del West or Xceldyne directly and discuss what they recommend.
Who is your point of contact at Del West?
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Chad at SRI performance....per Don L. ????? Thanks Mark H. :D
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Do not know where in the h@#$ the star symbol came from should have been Chad.
cboggs
Guru
Guru

Post by cboggs »

I still have the best luck with fully coated DLC valves in extreme conditions.

The best advice is to discuss with your valve supplier as they see 100X the volume
then we do in individual shops.
Race Flow Development
Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Thank you Mr. Boggs for your reply, i feel honored. Mark H. BTW i met you at the PRI show a few yrs. back in Orlando. :D
cboggs
Guru
Guru

Post by cboggs »

swampbuggy wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:18 pm Thank you Mr. Boggs for your reply, i feel honored. Mark H. BTW i met you at the PRI show a few yrs. back in Orlando. :D
Oh Hi Mark!

Yea been a while since I hung out on Speedtalk, kinda nice to see the old gang here.

Curtis
Race Flow Development
Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com