Finding a way to check existing valve seat angles.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

65hardtop

Finding a way to check existing valve seat angles.

Post by 65hardtop »

Is there a good way to figure out what the valve seat angles are on a set of heads? I have a set of racing heads that seem really good and would like to be able copy the same seat profile if I could. But in need a way to measure the angles.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru
Re: Finding a way to check existing valve seat angles.

Post by Frankshaft »

If I get a set of heads in that work good to freshen, and I want to find the angles, I usually can tell by looking, but, to verify, I will first use the valve grinder, set the angle I think the valve is, and give it a light touch. If I am wrong, say its set for 50, but its a 55, it will hit on the inside bottom edge of the seat. Then I stop, re set it to 55, and yep, its matches and cleans up. Then, once I know the angles of the seats, I pretty much know what the top cut and bottom cuts will likely be, and for the bottom angles I set up a single angle blade and put it up against the angle, until I find the right one. If its a 50 or 55, it will "usually" be steeper than 60, not always, but usually. Same for the top cuts. I will use a seat ginding stone, color up the seat area on the head, and light turn the stone by hand. If it hits close to the seat, its not that steep, if it hits towards the top, its steeper. Then I know.

I should add, on the bottom angle check, its just a visual, I am not cutting anything. You can look close and see if the angle on the seat, matches the angle on the single angle cutter. Again, if the angle is steeper, say I used a 65 single angle blade, and its touch on the bottom of the angle, its not that steep, likely a 60 or 62, so, put one of those in, until it touches flat.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

As far as the valve goes. If you can get a good picture of the angle, there are computer programs which will let you measure the angle.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Yes. Free 2d CAD is way beyond most here. :roll:

FYI, for the rest, you can import a photo into CAD (use a free one), scale it, then trace, and finally dimension the angle.
Last edited by hoffman900 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Bob
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

Sometimes I may be flowing a head for someone and not doing any work to it. I don't want to use a grinder in those cases so I do this ...

I have a couple thicker feeler gauge pieces screwed together thru the hole at one end tight enough to stay put unless you try to move them. Use those to form a V across valve head and across valve face. Hold it up to light to adjust to match the valve face angle, then align it onto a protractor to see the angle. It'll tell me real easy if its a 45, 50 or 55 but you'd have to be real careful to tell a 45 from a 46.

Rick
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

65hardtop wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:59 am Is there a good way to figure out what the valve seat angles are on a set of heads? I have a set of racing heads that seem really good and would like to be able copy the same seat profile if I could. But in need a way to measure the angles.
I put a pilot in the guide then use a small protractor.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:04 pm
65hardtop wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:59 am Is there a good way to figure out what the valve seat angles are on a set of heads? I have a set of racing heads that seem really good and would like to be able copy the same seat profile if I could. But in need a way to measure the angles.
I put a pilot in the guide then use a small protractor.
I like that idea, just don't have a small protractor. Can you post a photo of your protractor, or a part number.

Thanks
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

I have a couple of sets of junk valves that I have setup on all the usual angles. Then I just put Dykem on the seat I want to test and lap them in. This way you can actually measure the thickness of the angle too.
Joe Facciano
pcnsd
HotPass
HotPass

Post by pcnsd »

I hesitate to say this, but I use a 10" Micro-Vu optical comparator to pull the seat angle from the valve. All other angles seem to flow from the seat. The simple mechanical type optical comparators used to be common on the used market. I got mine for $150.
- Paul
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

hoffman900 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:49 pm
Frankshaft wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:45 pm Like small shops and hobbyists have access to that. Stupid, it takes literally 30 seconds to figure it out with a valve grinder. K.i.s.s.

FYI, for the rest, you can import a photo into CAD (use a free one), scale it, then trace, and finally dimension the angle.
Lol, yes because a protractor won't work. We must use a simulation.
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

And if the by is good, I bump with a stone, I have many single angle cutters for bottom, throat, seat, top cuts. most times if the angles i see are good i may bump just the seat and top cut. No sense in changing what works.
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

Headguy wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:36 pm And if the VJ is good, I bump with a stone, I have many single angle cutters for bottom, throat, seat, top cuts. most times if the angles i see are good i may bump just the seat and top cut. No sense in changing what works.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Headguy wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:32 pm
hoffman900 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:49 pm
Frankshaft wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:45 pm Like small shops and hobbyists have access to that. Stupid, it takes literally 30 seconds to figure it out with a valve grinder. K.i.s.s.

Lol, yes because a protractor won't work. We must use a simulation.
A blueprint is nice to have on file instead of some hand scribbled notes. ;)
-Bob
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by speedtalk »

Locked and off topic posts removed

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.”
― Marcus Aurelius
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin