Mag on the street?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

vht
Mag on the street?

Post by vht »

Got another question for you all. I have a nice Mallory Sprint Mag III, will they hold up on the street? I bought this for a blower set up and didn't use it, Spud Miller has suppresion wires he said that'll work good, only thing that might give me a problem is the my vintage Dixco tach but I think Spud has a set up where I can use it. I'd sell it and go MSD but I doubt I'd get my money back out of it. I ran a Vertex on the strip years ago but that's the only experience I've had with them.
In-Tech
Vendor

Re: Mag on the street?

Post by In-Tech »

I've never heard of a spring mag 3, sprint mag 2 yes, super mag 3 yes. I'm not sure I'd try a super mag 3 on the street, sprint mag should be fine. Suppression core wires don't last long with a mag.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
vht

Post by vht »

The 3 has the rare earth magnets from the research I've done, that's one reason why I figured it'd be ok. According to Spud at Fuel Injection Enterprises his wire will. I have no experience so I can't say, I thought you had to run solid core with all mags until I talked to him.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

I started playing with engines late 60s if my memory is right solid core wires showed up early 70s in the speed shops. The mags before that time used on everything from bonneville to blown drag cars were they not using supression wires ?.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Little Mouse wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:52 pm I started playing with engines late 60s if my memory is right solid core wires showed up early 70s in the speed shops. The mags before that time used on everything from bonneville to blown drag cars were they not using supression wires ?.
No. Solid wire plug wires were around since the beginning of spark ignition. Resistance wire showed up in the '50s with graphite coated string in rubber insulation.

Model A Ford spark plug "wires" LOL

stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Friend of mine had 56 Chevy old school gasser he tried one on bbc for two summers of cruising and nostalgia racing...always fouled plugs even with very tightly gaped plugs.

Changed out to a converted vertex mag to keep the look but internals changed to distributor...used with msd box and no more fouled plugs...ran great!
SpeedQuest

Post by SpeedQuest »

I've run a Don Zig prepped Vertex mag for years in a 600hp SBC street car.

Upgrading to the rare earth magnets seemed to make a big difference. I run 10mm Taylor stainless core wires and the recommended plug gap.
vht

Post by vht »

I traded it for a complete MSD set up. Worked out good.