460 ford engines differences

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
460 ford engines differences

Post by travis »

What differences are there between the carbed engines and the later model FI engines? I vaguely remember that you can’t use a carb manifold on the FI heads...different bolt pattern iirc, but are the blocks basically the same? Can you use earlier (or aftermarket) heads on the FI blocks? Any difference in flexplates? Anything else significantly different?

There is a guy down the road from me that bought up a bunch of motor homes that where destroyed in the Great Hailstorm of 2016, but due to health issues he is letting go of most of his collection go for peanuts. He has several FI 460/C-6 setups I am interested in.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: 460 ford engines differences

Post by Walter R. Malik »

travis wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:09 pm What differences are there between the carbed engines and the later model FI engines? I vaguely remember that you can’t use a carb manifold on the FI heads...different bolt pattern iirc, but are the blocks basically the same? Can you use earlier (or aftermarket) heads on the FI blocks? Any difference in flexplates? Anything else significantly different?

There is a guy down the road from me that bought up a bunch of motor homes that where destroyed in the Great Hailstorm of 2016, but due to health issues he is letting go of most of his collection go for peanuts. He has several FI 460/C-6 setups I am interested in.
Realistically ... only the heads on up although, the valve train is the same.
The front cover is slightly different with no fuel pump provision and smaller corner oil pan bolts.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

The 460 FI heads have no heat crossovers. The head bolt pattern must be the same since I use my original 429-460 torque plate on 'em.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Thanks guys
Bos's5.0
Pro
Pro

Post by Bos's5.0 »

also I believe they late model is externally balanced?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Please note that the Exh ports on any 460 factory iron Head flow a miserable 58% of the Intake !

If your sticking with the iron Head and are looking for more then a 35 hp gain while sticking with the stock compression then in the least you need to have Exh side fully ported by someone who can guarantee you no lost of low lift flow !

In short it's really best to stuff in a oversize Exh valve while doing the porting work!!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Bos's5.0 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:25 pm also I believe they late model is externally balanced?
So are the earlier carbureted engines from 1978 up.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.