Ford 2.3 turbo head information needed

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

turtle
Ford 2.3 turbo head information needed

Post by turtle »

I am preparing to start on a small turbo project and I am in search of information on the 87-88 Ford 2.3 Turbo Coupe cylinder head. I keep coming across conflicting information on different forums and websites.
1) What are the factory flow numbers for the intake and exhaust?
2) Does this head have Inconel exhaust valves from the factory?
3) Does it have flame hardened exhaust seats from the factory? If so, are these seats prone to cracks and need replacement?

Once I have this information, it will have an effect on the modifications I make to this head. I have plans to do port work to the head and I am trying to determine if I will “NEED” to go with larger valves on the intakes, or the exhausts, or both.
The next step will be to determine the cam profile for this build. I will consult with a cam company once I have determined my direction for the head.

If anyone is interested, here is what I am doing. I have a complete 2.3 intercooled turbo motor from a 1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. I have a 1998 Ford ranger with an automatic that will receive this engine. This will be a daily driver and used to run errands. My goals are to have factory type fuel economy with very quick spool time and lots of torque.

My plans on this build, are to enhance the airflow and efficiency of ALL the stock parts. This will include the porting and polishing of the turbo compressor and turbine housings, the exhaust manifold, the intake manifold and the cylinder head. I will be replacing the stock intercooler with a more efficient front mount intercooler and enlarging the exhaust system.
I will raise the stock compression to enhance “off boost” throttle response and torque. I will be zero decking the block to raise the compression ratio from the stock 8.0:1, to as high as I can get it. I would like to see 9.5:1 but I don’t think I will reach that with the stock turbo pistons.
The thought of raising compression goes against common practice with boosted motors, but raising compression has worked for me before, on a Ford Probe Turbo GT. It works if you can keep intake charge temperatures down. By lowering the intake charge temperature, you lower the risk of detonation. There are a couple of items in this combination that help this.
1) A more efficient intercooler lowers intake charge temperatures
2) Enhancing the flow restrictions, from the turbo all of the way to the combustion chamber, requires less boost pressures to make power. This lower boost pressure translates to lower intake charge temperatures
I am NOT looking for maximum horsepower with this combination. I just want good fuel economy with a good kick in the pants when I step on it. Later if I get “boost addiction”, I can add water/methanol injection and turn up the boost. LOL

I will be posting this same post on a couple of different sites, with the chance that I can reach more people that might have the correct information that I am looking for.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Our Creed: "Where two or more are gathered, there shall be a RACE!"
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Re: Ford 2.3 turbo head information needed

Post by NXBOY »

First off all 2.3 heads are cracked or will crack, even the inductioned hardened 87 and 88 seats. Books have said, but never seen seat inserts in heads. First of most importance is exhaust flow track. I would buy a log header which flows better then a E7 manifold. My good Friend Randy Heinland from INDiana makes awesome tubular headers for them as well alot of others. Bigger valves is a common practice and have seen intake go around 200+ and exhaust 160 with bigger valves. I would think you would want a early intake fo the torque and low end You say you want. I would definately get roller lifters and can out of 89 mustang and ranger. They flattappets lobes and followers dont last great. Automatic turbo is what your after would think with the smaller exhaust side. Alot of Info on sites out there..,ED
turtle

Post by turtle »

NXBOY wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:06 pm First off all 2.3 heads are cracked or will crack, even the inductioned hardened 87 and 88 seats. Books have said, but never seen seat inserts in heads. First of most importance is exhaust flow track. I would buy a log header which flows better then a E7 manifold. My good Friend Randy Heinland from INDiana makes awesome tubular headers for them as well alot of others. Bigger valves is a common practice and have seen intake go around 200+ and exhaust 160 with bigger valves. I would think you would want a early intake fo the torque and low end You say you want. I would definately get roller lifters and can out of 89 mustang and ranger. They flattappets lobes and followers dont last great. Automatic turbo is what your after would think with the smaller exhaust side. Alot of Info on sites out there..,ED
Thanks Ed.
This 87 TC motor I have, only has 61,000 original miles on it. I was suspect to thinking that if my head wasn't cracked now, that it would crack, even with the factory induction hardened seats. This will lead me to install inserts to help prevent this. I was leaning towards a larger intake valve and the same size exhaust valve. This would help to reduce the restriction in the intake track and I would be able to reuse the stock Inconel exhaust valves. (if they are Inconel)
I do plan on converting to the roller followers. I will be contacting Ultradyne cams to possibly regrind a used roller, once I get some flow numbers on the finished head. I have had a lot of success with them, on Drag and Circle track stuff, for Chevy engines that I have built for myself and other people. I don't know how much 2.3 turbo experience they have, so I will probably see what Boport has to offer as well.
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

Search turboford. There's a talented porter on there- turboray posted a how-to using the guy's notes/dimensions.

Boport is talented, but omg expensive. I'm running his head with a 2.1 cam.

The 2.3 Lima is pretty impressive when boosted, for what it is. Also, DaveF (Flanders) is a great guy (present here and @ turboford) that will steer you in the right direction. His car flies, too.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
turtle

Post by turtle »

n2xlr8n wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:22 pm Search turboford. There's a talented porter on there- turboray posted a how-to using the guy's notes/dimensions.

Boport is talented, but omg expensive. I'm running his head with a 2.1 cam.

The 2.3 Lima is pretty impressive when boosted, for what it is. Also, DaveF (Flanders) is a great guy (present here and @ turboford) that will steer you in the right direction. His car flies, too.
Tim Ottinger is the guy that turboray posted about. It was a very good break down of the way to work the bowl areas for the intake an exhaust. I will be using that information when I start on the head.

Yes I agree... Bopart is a bit pricey. I really didn't want to get that far into this project. If I was going for all out horsepower, then I would definitely be giving him a call.

I have read a couple of things about Flanders and it really is impressive what he has accomplished.

Something else that I am curious about is, if I am running a low lift cam, (around .425" to .450"ish) does the 2.3 head respond well to a shallower 30 degree valve seat? This is supposed start the flow quicker as the valve comes of of the seat.
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

Path of least resistance on a valve job with a boosted app IMHO. Atleast 45degree. Flow wont need any help when intake valve first opens. I'm not as sure with the exhaust, any thing to help reversion I say be a help.
turtle

Post by turtle »

NXBOY wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:04 pm Path of least resistance on a valve job with a boosted app IMHO. Atleast 45degree. Flow wont need any help when intake valve first opens. I'm not as sure with the exhaust, any thing to help reversion I say be a help.
I understand/see your point on the path of least resistance. My thought with the 30 degree valve job to increase in low lift flows, was to compensate for the short cam duration required to keep valve overlap to a minimum.

Now the thought of anti-reversion.... Are there valve jobs that can reduce reversion?? It seems like that would be beneficial, being that there will be such an increase in exhaust port pressure.
powerhouse

Post by powerhouse »

What are you using for a turbo ? If its the stock ihi all this work your doing isnt really worth it. That will be the bottleneck . Just get the boost up to 18-19 psi .
You will be lucky if the heads not cracked. I can count on one hand how many ive seen not cracked and ive seen alot. Hopefully any cracks are small enough that cutting a counterbore for a seat insert will take care of them.
The stock injectors and vam will get you to about 240-250 rwhp with elevated fuel pressure but that probably wont happen with an ihi turbo. You need at least a garrett of an svo or pre 87 tc.
Be careful of making the intake ports in the manifold and head to big as you will notice the drop in low end power.
You could probably get to 9.5:1 compression because like other 2.3 heads you can mill alot off them, but going that high probably isnt in your best interest unless you are spraying alky or running race gas.
I have a 88 turbo coupe that ive been messing with for a long time, nothing fancy except the turbo and thats just a t3/t4 hybrid. Ill list my combo below.
Stock shortblock
Ported head with big valves. Flows 215/160 ish
Milled i think .030" to give 8.4:1 compression
Ranger roller cam
Stock ported intake, not gutted just alot of porting
Stock throttle body and intercooler
Stock exhaust manifold ported
T3/t4 turbo with 3" exhaust dumped at rear axle
Stock electronics,injectors,vam,etc.
Home made alky kit with alkycontrol pump and nozzle
Thats about it. Lots of time tuning with a wideband
Makes around 280ish at the tire at 25 psi
Power off boost under 2500rpm is noticeably lower than stock.
I have a front mount ic that ill get on it someday and hopefully hit in the 300rwhp range.
The way it is with sticky tires it slips the stock clutch and with stock radials it just burns them up.
Powerhouse Performance Machine
Andrew Jeffery
508-328-9884
powerhouse

Post by powerhouse »

Also check out stinger performance website. Lots of good info in his faq and tech sections
Powerhouse Performance Machine
Andrew Jeffery
508-328-9884
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Personally id use the late dual plug head.
Flows better than the others with small high swirl ports.
Will help with your torque and economy goals.

Also there is a huge difference when you use the 2500 cranks
Next one i do will have the crank offset ground by castillo crank to honda rod journal size for 2600cc
turtle

Post by turtle »

powerhouse thanks for the input. I am now questioning the cracked head issue. Is it only the exhaust that will need the inserts or are the intakes prone to cracking as well??
englertracing wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:40 pm Personally id use the late dual plug head.
Flows better than the others with small high swirl ports.
Will help with your torque and economy goals.

Also there is a huge difference when you use the 2500 cranks
Next one i do will have the crank offset ground by castillo crank to honda rod journal size for 2600cc
I have a feeling that once I get a taste of the power of boost, that I might be building the 2.5 with with good rods, pistons and a bigger turbo. I like the idea of offset grinding the crank. I will have to look into that as well.
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

Only Exhaust, Stock rods and shortblock good for about 475 Hp. After that the rods get squished. If building a motor the 2.5 is a good candidate , Friend made close to 600 HP with stock ported manifolds/head with a Cummins Turbo.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

I think this would be fantastic in a ranger
https://youtu.be/bdrrlXiaCF0
350 something hp
380tq.....

On the subject of bottom ends
https://youtu.be/xl_1Su4S7o4
https://youtu.be/OvyJSSxtzWU
820hp on a stock crank/block for a little while...
I think the 9000+ rpm shifts were more a problem than the 820hp

Now its billet crank and esslinger block and 930hp
https://youtu.be/NJOg68ipKSw
turtle

Post by turtle »

englertracing wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:51 pm I think this would be fantastic in a ranger
https://youtu.be/bdrrlXiaCF0
350 something hp
380tq.....

I agree. Something like that would nice.

I am going to stick with my original plan, to optimize everything that I already have. Then later, if I feel the need, a bigger turbo and water/methanol injection should get me to the 350ish range. Much more than that and I will need to make more upgrades to the transmission.
NXBOY wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:33 pm Only Exhaust, Stock rods and shortblock good for about 475 Hp. After that the rods get squished. If building a motor the 2.5 is a good candidate , Friend made close to 600 HP with stock ported manifolds/head with a Cummins Turbo.
I will go ahead and do the exhaust seats then. I know that the bottom ends are tough. I don't want to go back into the motor, so I want make sure that the head will last awhile. Turbos, manifolds, injectors.... Those are all bolt on upgrades I can do anytime.

Thanks for the input guys!
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

I think chad siper was talking about some powder metal steel seats with copper in them, cost no more than a normal seat like 4 or 5 bucks, nothing, but had good heat transfer properties.