Ideal head runner cfm/flow?

Post by 88bluestar »

355cid max
9.6:1 max
SMI 780cfm Holley 4150
45 lbs Eagle Forged crank with Honda rod journals
6.125 Rods
.540 intake .560 exh lift rule solid fly tappet
Current cam is comp 4/7 swap 252-255 @. 050 .540/.550 108 love separation advanced to 104 CL
I also plan to install a Jones race Cam during the change.
MAX 7000 RPMS per pill rule.
Currently running a 1/4 mile roughly dirt track

Planning to change out large runner VB heads and GM raised runner intake for EQ heads, and either a victor jr or Holley Strip Dominator intake. Engine was built a few years ago with previous owner but was before rpm rule. I have a great deal from EQ hence why I’m choosing thier Head but I’m trying to determine what is the best results with regards to how much porting/work to be done with this lack of both compression and cubes do to the rules. The heads I gather HVH has done work on them with great success but not sure I’ll have enough in the budget to have them or one of the great head builders on here. Was told to stay with the 1.94/1.50 valve for the rules I have which also with a .030 bore makes sense. 190cc seem about the right runner size or just below?
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: Ideal head runner cfm/flow?

Post by lefty o »

imo 195-200.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

A 7000 rpm Pill means your dropping off a good chunk of power by 6500 rpm so your build should concider that smaller power band in regards to tuning.
Your chosen Head should provide the fattest Intake flow numbers between .300" and .450" lift.

When you don't have much compression and with the valve sizes your stuck with you need good port velocity once the motor comes up onto the Cam, and the Intake Manifold will have a big effect on maxing out the average amount of power that the motor produces, so in short if you can get your hands on both of those Intakes I would try them out.

Since your changing Cams I would take advantage of such in regards to using a lobe lift value that gets you to that .560" lift range but with high ratio rockers for faster cylinder fill!
You can grab onto a cheap 5 extra Hp with a tight fitting crank scraper if your not running such now.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

I gather with the 4.030 bore the 1.94/1.50 is more ideal(less shrouding), and talking with Mike Jones before that cam timing can be done to make up for that with slightly more lobe separation If I recall. I also like the idea of the lighter valve, which I'm looking at the engine pro nitro black valves, hollow stem and similar are consideration but very pricey. This engine is for a 1/4 to small 3/8 mile dirt oval. Hoping to work the heads just right
T-flow
Expert
Expert

Post by T-flow »

I have seen some of the HVH heads before years ago, they were good IMO. Velocity in the intake track will be key. Not from experience, but your combo looks pretty good. I'm sure Jones cam will be pretty good. Experience is key!
Good luck with your project.
T-flow Cylinder Heads
www.tflowheads.com
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

For my combination I was thinking a Holley 300-25 or victor jr, how different would it be with a super victor? max 7000 rpm, minimum rpm around 3500 rpm.