Aluminium vs Steel rods

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Aluminium vs Steel rods

Post by engineguyBill »

Steve.k wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:00 pm Carrillo also sells alloy rods. Put them on , would be interesting to here there story!!
The CP-CARRILLO catalog lists aluminum rod availability for Top Fuel and Alcohol applications, which I guess reinforces the theory that these rods are designed primarily to buffer the extreme cylinder pressures found in these engines. However, the catalog also states that they have "the ability and willingness" to make custom versions of these rods. By configuring the rod length, wrist pin and bearing diameters, big-end widths, etc., these rods can be made for just about any engine imaginable. I think you will find that aluminum rods are used in n/a engines used in NHRA Competition Eliminator and similar classes . . . . . .
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Thanks Bill
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

DCal....i have been wondering if CP-Carrillo has produced any Carrillo Pro-H beam rods with MORE metal above the B.E. hole area. In other words a "longer radius" from the threaded bolt hole area to where the beam becomes straight, liken to the Pankl design ??? Mark H.
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

swampbuggy wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:27 am DCal....i have been wondering if CP-Carrillo has produced any Carrillo Pro-H beam rods with MORE metal above the B.E. hole area. In other words a "longer radius" from the threaded bolt hole area to where the beam becomes straight, liken to the Pankl design ??? Mark H.
You can custom order most anything but each rod design has a lot of FEA and testing behind it and a balance of weight and strength must be considered. Pankl rods mostly live in an environment of short strokes and overhead cams so they have chosen the thin but "larger radius"
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Would pankl have applications with Porsche,cosworth and the likes?
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Jay,

Have you tested rods that have the design/strength characteristics of H-beams built into an ostensibly different structure? Figure 22 of the patent strongly suggests this.

Just curious.

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

So, if one had the inclination and market, you could fabricate a mischung of an aluminum and steel rod (and Ti). Lots of applications in aerospace and defense but I am wondering if the economics are now missing for ICE.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

DCal wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:31 pm
DrillDawg wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:17 am You would think anyone in the "know" would chime in and set the record straight instead of lurking.
Lurking is a virtue especially considering the state of SpeedTalk today. There's about a dozen people that you can count on to post frequently and sometimes unnecessarily just to provoke others. And there are others who are very knowledgeable and have experience but their posts get swallowed up in the fracas. I'm very close to adding my name to those who have dropped out of SpeedTalk unless we can all get back to helping each other because we're all here for the love of motorsports.
Yup, opposing or unnecessary comments are a bitch...It's been my experience that people who are knowledgeable and dedicated have strong opinions.At times those opinions may conflict with yours...And your opinions differ from them....So just give up an leave because you don't like it...This is an Internet forum and for sure there's always going to be a handful of jerks..Just ignore them...they only continue to post because people reply to their comments..
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

1: Is that the ceramic composite matrix, yada yada deal from years ago?

2: Are they now too stiff to have that "cushion" effect?

3: Jager website?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

That's nice.
What about #2 and 3?
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

cstraub wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:04 pm LS Jager rods is 485gms total. These should be able to retro fit to the LS7 Cranks without much issue in balancing. Cost would be about 40% less.
Holy crap that seems light...The R&R rods in one of my vintage bikes is about 400 grams, 6.5 inch eye to eye ,3.23 stroke and a 2.9 inch bore..Now I used custom forged steel rods, 420 grams..
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

So he is making a 6.125 for just the ls.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Huum its interesting how highly stressed an airplane wing is and a lot of the rest of the plane and the aluminum aircraft flies millions of miles and many years of service. Pistons are aluminum and put up with tremendous heat pressure and stress for 100s of thousands of miles. But an aluminum rod is not going to last.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Dave Koehler wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:14 pm 1: Is that the ceramic composite matrix, yada yada deal from years ago?

2: Are they now too stiff to have that "cushion" effect?

3: Jager website?
Chris,
Since you seem to be the point man for Jager then and now I would like #2 and 3 answered.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Chris are you going to stock his gen 1 rods now or in the future ?