Can floor it from 700 idle,works great

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

oldhead
Expert
Expert

Can floor it from 700 idle,works great

Post by oldhead »

I got alot of answers, and some like "put a block of wood under the pedal". Does this guy race???? Does he ever win???? Any way I checked with holley who said its normal about 95% of the time....I get a cruise control and link it to the secondarys,add a micro switch to the primarys. add a small vacuum tank, drill the orfice in the cruise to get the right speed. Now its better then injection. :D :D :D :D Oldhead
Quicker then most
Tuner
Guru
Guru
Re: Can floor it from 700 idle,works great

Post by Tuner »

Good job. Is there a strong enough spring and a positive mechanical connection that will absolutely close the secondary when the primary closes, in case some electronic gremlin keeps the power on the vacuum solenoid?
naukkis79
Pro
Pro

Post by naukkis79 »

So you converted mechanical secondary carb to vacuum operated? That's why carbs are made for factory as vacuum and mechanical, vacuum for guys who want to floor it from idle and mechanical to guys which want full engine power at powerband instantly when floored.
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

Two intelligent replys,Thank you...GM cruise controls are made to close when needed and more then 10 years has worked perfectly,,This set up is more electric then vacuum opening which requires vacuum to build up as rpms build up. this opens even without engine running. Its opens fully in about one second. It even looks nice,No one ever noticed in 10 years, I use the small GM cruise unit :D :D :D :D Oldhead
Quicker then most
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

Got pictures of this set-up? Thanks!
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

I have pictures,but don't know how to post them....Very eazy to see, stock cruise control with linkage running to secondary arm Oldhead
Quicker then most