Can't floor it from 700 RPM idle

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Re: Can't floor it from 700 RPM idle

Post by gmrocket »

joe 90 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:28 pm I've always done my road tuning that way too. 2nd gear, walking speed, floor it until getting to the red line.....take datalog.
The rate of change of RPM follows the torque curve, if it misfires or hesitates, it's not good enough....fix it, try again.

What you notice often, youtube is a great example, dyno runs start at 3500RPM or so.......that's because the waterbrake can't hold it at lower RPMs....it's under rated.
How do the engine masters competitors get their engines to pull from 2300 at wide open throttle?
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

Ed Wright wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:18 am More spark advance.
I have 32 at idle,you say more ?????
Quicker then most
Ed Wright
Pro
Pro

Post by Ed Wright »

Of course not. More tip-in fuel more likely.
http://www.fastchip.com/
SS/JA 4156
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

fdicrasto wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:24 am Why would anyone want to "floor it" from idle for any reason?
Footbrake racing.. although it won't be from a true idle, but a stumble means a loss.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

gmrocket wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:48 pm
joe 90 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:28 pm I've always done my road tuning that way too. 2nd gear, walking speed, floor it until getting to the red line.....take datalog.
The rate of change of RPM follows the torque curve, if it misfires or hesitates, it's not good enough....fix it, try again.

What you notice often, youtube is a great example, dyno runs start at 3500RPM or so.......that's because the waterbrake can't hold it at lower RPMs....it's under rated.
How do the engine masters competitors get their engines to pull from 2300 at wide open throttle?

Crickets from mr know it all
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

Zmechanic wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:12 pm
fdicrasto wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:24 am Why would anyone want to "floor it" from idle for any reason?
Footbrake racing.. although it won't be from a true idle, but a stumble means a loss.
Agreed, stumble means loss and that is at any rpm.
Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

oldhead wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:30 am Can't floor it from 700 RPM idle, Thats my 950 holley blow thru,Its from back in 2002 from one of the oldest shops. They said you must come off higher like 2000. How would you fix that ???? I did in such a way you won't believe. It real strong. Even put the T400 in second and smack it,Wild Oldhead
Just so I am getting this straight, you have not been able to floor it from an idle since 2002? Now, by some miracle and engineering stroke of genius that just occured either by drugs, alcohol, or divine intervention you can floor it at 700 rpm and it takes off like a raped ape? I have personally never witnessed just how fast a raped ape can accelerate but I would think it would be similar to a bat out of hell, not that I've seen one of those. However when you say "wild" I take it that you are tickled and I hope I have your enthusiasm if I make it to your age. Another clue is "blow thru". Anytime the word "blow" is used in any connotation it quickens my pulse. Example.."I think the engine's gonna blow..or.. I eat so much chili I'm gonna blow.. or.. a good looking gal suggest a blow....

Please tell us the fix. Thanks for this breath of fresh air thread.
Last edited by Old School on Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Surely "blow through" is a red herring? At 700 rpm, zero boost, problem would still be there, even if you disconnect the boost ducting to the carb top?
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Old School wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:24 am
oldhead wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:30 am Can't floor it from 700 RPM idle, Thats my 950 holley blow thru,Its from back in 2002 from one of the oldest shops. They said you must come off higher like 2000. How would you fix that ???? I did in such a way you won't believe. It real strong. Even put the T400 in second and smack it,Wild Oldhead
Just so I am getting this straight, you have not been able to floor it from an idle since 2002? Now, by some miracle and engineering stroke of genius that just occured either by drugs, alcohol, or divine intervention you can floor it at 700 rpm and it takes off like a raped ape? I have personally never witnessed just how fast a raped ape can accelerate but I would think it would be similar to a bat out of hell, not that I've seen one of those. However when you say "wild" I take it that you are tickled and I hope I have your enthusiasm if I make it to your age. Another clue is "blow thru". Anytime the word "blow" is used in any connotation it quickens my pulse. Example.."I think the engine's gonna blow..or.. I eat so much chili I'm gonna blow.. or.. a good looking gal suggest a blow....

Sir, consider yourself nominated for this award.

However, to receive your award, you will need to forward $9.00 (US) + $10.25 shipping to Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/Customizable-Hor ... ZDXTKH6FCB
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

wut? Now they are selling my award? fook amazon :evil:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I liked this comment. "I have personally never witnessed just how fast a raped ape can accelerate but I would think it would be similar to a bat out of hell" :lol:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

Tuner wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:57 am

However, to receive your award, you will need to forward $9.00 (US) + $10.25 shipping to Amazon.com
It was not my intention to come off as an ass. It was meant as a light hearted attempt to get Oldhead to tell us the fix. My apology to Oldhead and anyone else that I may have offended.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Old School wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:26 pm
Tuner wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:57 am

He did tell us the fix, but because he put it in another thread he nominated himself for one of those awards too. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54127&p=755862#p755862
It was not my intention to come off as an ass. It was meant as a light hearted attempt to get Oldhead to tell us the fix. My apology to Oldhead and anyone else that I may have offended.
He did tell us the fix, but because he did it in another thread he nominated himself for one of these awards too. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54127&p=755862#p755862
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

CHECK OUT THE ANSWER ON "CAN FLOOR IT FROM 700 IDLE"
Quicker then most