Dart Iron Eagle internal engine water leak

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rewguy
Expert
Expert
Dart Iron Eagle internal engine water leak

Post by rewguy »

451" stroked small block chevy. 4.125 stroke. Stroker clearancing done by experienced shop on bridgeport. No holes in the clearancing at all when assembled. Rotating assembly cleared by .060 or more through full travel. Oil was milky quickly on fresh startup. Thought initially that the copper head gaskets were seeping water internally. Attempted Moroso ceramic seal while running to no avail. Drained oil. solid white froth. Topped radiator off with water and pressurized cooling system to 20 lbs. You could literally hear the water inside the engine draining more quickly. It was blatantly moving some serious fluid. Radiator dropped 8 inches in one minute. Cooling system dropped from 20 lbs to 7 lbs in the same minute. Put borescope past the rocker arms to peer into intake valley. The engine has a 5 degree rearward tilt so anything leaking by a head gasket would drain quickly toward the rear of the engine. Re-filled radiator and pressurized again. Water heard draining at fast pace out the drain plug once again. NO WATER MOVING whatsoever in the lifter valley on either bank anywhere. This leaves me to think that the leak is in the crankcase. As far as I remember the block had no sleeves. Any ideas?
hondo383
Pro
Pro

Re: Dart Iron Eagle internal engine water leak

Post by hondo383 »

Take the pan off and pressure test it...wear goggles
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Yes, probably leaking at the bottom of the bore where it was machined. I hit water one time while clearancing, it was only a pinhole, I put tape on it and filled the water jacket with Devcon, the next morn there was a stellagtite hanging there from an area I saw no hole with the naked eye. Just fyi
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

In-Tech wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:02 pm Yes, probably leaking at the bottom of the bore where it was machined. I hit water one time while clearancing, it was only a pinhole, I put tape on it and filled the water jacket with Devcon, the next morn there was a stellagtite hanging there from an area I saw no hole with the naked eye. Just fyi
This is my guess too. Pull the pan and retest. That big of leak shouldn't be too hard to find.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

This is why I always take the first step of pressuring the cooling system on any engine I build before I complete all accessory installs and before I fire em!
Its not hard to pressure check a long block even before valve covers, pans, oil and accoutrements are added! :wink:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Those are basically"block filled" with cast iron, at the bottom. Very solid down there. They can be clearances for a 4.25 stroke. I would be surprised if it leaked there
rewguy
Expert
Expert

Post by rewguy »

ugh. will know soon
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

You might want to pull the plugs while you are pressure testing, do those copper gaskets have a fire ring ? They are not the copper gasket/shim that is called a head saver are they ? Just thinking....
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

What did u find?