Cleveland sleeve

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Re: Cleveland sleeve

Post by cjperformance »

ozyfordman wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:03 pm I have never had to grout a block before. I have watched some videos on YOUTUBE. What products do you recommend and how high up the bores can you fill before compromising cooloing efficiency. When we bored the black block on the weekend, there were a couple of bores that had inclusions in the casting about half way down the bore. I will sonic test these areas and hopefully cover them with grout. Ring seal shouldn`t be a problem down there as cylinder pressure should be very low. So long as they don`t leak. Maybe Irontite if I can get it, or possibly need a sleeve in this block as well. I`ll have to get that sonic probe radiused for internal measurements.
I fill them to the bottom of the water pump holes. No cooling issues unless it has the crap belted out of it and the oil then gets hotter than usual so if its a track/circuit engine it should have an oil cooler(should anyway). Street or drag no problem at all. I use Moroso Engine Block Filler.
Craig.
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

cjperformance wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:07 pm
ozyfordman wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:03 pm I have never had to grout a block before. I have watched some videos on YOUTUBE. What products do you recommend and how high up the bores can you fill before compromising cooloing efficiency. When we bored the black block on the weekend, there were a couple of bores that had inclusions in the casting about half way down the bore. I will sonic test these areas and hopefully cover them with grout. Ring seal shouldn`t be a problem down there as cylinder pressure should be very low. So long as they don`t leak. Maybe Irontite if I can get it, or possibly need a sleeve in this block as well. I`ll have to get that sonic probe radiused for internal measurements.
I fill them to the bottom of the water pump holes. No cooling issues unless it has the crap belted out of it and the oil then gets hotter than usual so if its a track/circuit engine it should have an oil cooler(should anyway). Street or drag no problem at all. I use Moroso Engine Block Filler.
Same here. Fill to bottom of water pump holes. I use either Hard Blok or Moroso.

Last Cleveland I did had one sleeve and another cylinder that had a .050" wall thickness. I filled as described above, 620 hp @ 8000 rpm. No issues.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I've also run sleeved Cleveland's without issue in dirt sportsman car somewhere near 500 HP...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

We currently running one with a sleeve that measured.070 In thinnest spot. No grout and 585 hp.Have done them a inch from deck and they do get warm in oil department. Last one would run around 235-240 oil temp after pull on Dyno.
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

Steve.k wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:26 am We currently running one with a sleeve that measured.070 In thinnest spot. No grout and 585 hp.Have done them a inch from deck and they do get warm in oil department. Last one would run around 235-240 oil temp after pull on Dyno.
Good to run an oil cooler and if I know the block will be filled, I will order the pistons a few thou small on skirt diameter.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

blykins wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:01 am
Steve.k wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:26 am We currently running one with a sleeve that measured.070 In thinnest spot. No grout and 585 hp.Have done them a inch from deck and they do get warm in oil department. Last one would run around 235-240 oil temp after pull on Dyno.
Good to run an oil cooler and if I know the block will be filled, I will order the pistons a few thou small on skirt diameter.
We did install cooler on the tall fill.