Motown II LS build, or...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

kv67ssrs
Motown II LS build, or...

Post by kv67ssrs »

New to the forum... thanks for the add...

I've been looking at doing something different with the power plant in my 67 Camaro. Recently, I stumbled across the Motown II LS hybrid block and some associated builds. I am very interested but haven't been able to find too much on it.

I currently have a Dart SHP small block 400 in my car. It's a nice engine (AFR heads, roller cam, forged rotating assembly). It's probably making in the area of 475 to 500 hp. Nothing wrong with it, I'm just bored with it, crave more power, and want something a bit different. I don't want to go through a full LS conversion. It would be way too expensive by the time I bought a new front runner accessory system, bell housing and all the other associated parts. I feel like a 427 ci build with the Motown LS block, using LS7 heads, would get me to the 650hp/650tq that I want easy enough without having to be too radical. It would definitely be something different under the hood too...

The car is a nice weather weekend toy that is kind of set up as a resto-mod/pro tour ride but is not a queen. I built it to drive it....

Appreciate any feedback. I know there is ton of knowledge and experience on this forum.

Thanks in advance for the replies...
Kip
CGT
Guru
Guru
Re: Motown II LS build, or...

Post by CGT »

I personally don't see the purpose for the hybrid block. Also 650 torque is not going to happen with the parts you mentioned.

I would go full LS rather than the hybrid.. An 18 degree top end on your current shp block, along with accompanying parts would smoke the 427 ls and that conversion would cost considerably less than the new engine that you mentioned.