Rookie racer questions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Rookie racer questions

Post by ProPower engines »

Mopar does have a crate 1 of my customers runs one and it is a niece piece it he don't rev it too high. They will turn 7000 with the right carb if ya know what I mean.
But as far as being a rookie where do you run and what is the surface condition after the heats??? And do they like most tracks now water it after so it will slick over in the B and A features so the hot dogs don't run away and hide???
track condition is a great equalizer for competition then set up and driver control make it better but a full on tacky track where you just leave it on the wood and steer makes it way more costly for engines. I don't disagree with a tacky track I loved it when the local track was 3 grooves of glue so I could run the top wide open.

But for a rookie a slick track is also hard to control a car on and takes the right gear combo and driver control on the gas.

What is the typical track conditions from start of the nite to the last feature. And a big thing is what other class's do you run with?? And do they run more tire then the mods do. Late models can tear up a track very fast if the track preper is lazy during the week prior to the event nite.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

20 years ago we used different size restrictor plates to differentiate between classes using the same engine specs. that way if a racer wanted to move up a class he just needed a different size plate but could use the same engine
1969Corvette

Post by 1969Corvette »

The track consists of IMCA Mod, Sport Mod, IMCA Stock car, Street Stocks, and 4 cylinders. And the line up is changed every week. The track is usually well packed with moisture on the top layer. After the all the heat races are in, the track gets really dry (I can walk on the track after the A Mains and I almost slip because it's so slippery). But tonight the track preps added so much water that when the last A main event finished their race, the track was still well moisturized with a few dry spots by turn 1 and 3. I try to pay attention to what motors the IMCA mod drivers use. Is it possible for a crate motor to sound like an open motor and vise versa? A driver with an open motor won tonights feature race and that is the first time (as long as I can remember) a driver won with an open motor since the engine rule change in 2013. And at the 1/2 mile track, they have IMCA mods, sport mods, stock cars, 4 cylinders, and Late Models. They do hot laps there and usually a few late models do hot laps and dry the track right up on turns 1, 2, 3, and 4. Is there a minimum tire pressure limit rule? A former driver told me he would have lower psi on his back right tire then to any other tires.