AFR vs Brodix

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

apm
AFR vs Brodix

Post by apm »

Hi Guys , i'm building a 632 BBC conventional headed BBC for a customer, it will be pump gas and hydraulic roller cam and will be using stud mounted rockers, i'm tossing up between an AFR 385 cyl head and a Brodix BB3 Xtra O 365cc cnc ported head, the Brodix is a lot more expensive but whats everyone's opinion on which head would work better, is the extra money really going to give me any gains ? Or does anyone else have a suggestion on a cyl head, must be conventional style head and accept a stud mounted rocker. Cam will be 260's @ .050", .700" lift, single plain intake and a dominator carb, probably around 11.5-12 : 1 comp
Thanks
NormS
Vendor

Re: AFR vs Brodix

Post by NormS »

What's the application for this engine?
Competition Fuel Systems Birch Run,MI. www.compfuelsystems.com/index.html 520-241-2787
apm

Post by apm »

street mainly but will see some drag race duties, its in a 3600lb sedan
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

How much more expensive is the Brodix pair of heads? Some of the difference in the hardware? If you have to buy any of the hardware twice to get exactly what you want, like springs to match you cam exactly, then maybe not so much of a difference anymore.
Carlquist Competition Engines
apm

Post by apm »

I was going to buy the heads with valves only and fit them out anyway , so thats not really a problem, the difference is about $1500, customer isnt so worried about the price im just trying to achieve the best power I can
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

A street engine needs to make torque and power through the widest possible rpm range, and have decent low speed/part throttle characteristics. I suggest using the smallest port volume intake port that has the flow that the engine needs to make the power that is needed. Hopefully the power goals are realistic, otherwise you could end up with something that might not be what is needed for a street machine. It takes torque to move a 3600# car, so if heads and cam are chosen to reach an unrealistic peak HP goal, the lower end of the rpm range could suffer.
Competition Fuel Systems Birch Run,MI. www.compfuelsystems.com/index.html 520-241-2787
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Seems as though to many in the engine building community are getting to hung up on the big names in aftermarket cylinder heads like AFR, Brodix, Pro-filer, etc.

What you are describing for a build here is a nice pump gas 632 BBC build for what sounds like a street/strip application. In my opinion you can build a nice engine here for your client with a nice set of Pro-Maxx Shocker series fully CNC'd set of BBC heads with nice valves, springs, retainers and studs for about $2400 a pair and they flow over 450cfm which is even more than a 632 BBC with a good camshaft needs to make 800-850HP for your client.

Do AFR, Brodix and Pro-filer make nice heads, YOU BET! but this application and use they are just to damn expensive in my opinion. Many might disagree, especially those hung up on big name dropping, but I for one believe the value for the dollar is just not there to support those astronomical head prices!

Let the storm begin! :roll:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

$ 1500,00 difference in price for same stuff between AFR and Brodix seems to be too much of a spread. You sure on those prices?
Carlquist Competition Engines
apm

Post by apm »

when I say street car im using that term very loosely, more of a cross between street car and race car, car will have a large converter, he wont be trying to drive it to far from his house, im hoping to make around 875hp, im in Australia so I havent heard of the pro maxx- shocker heads before ? The brodix and AFR heads are just brands supplied by my parts wholesalers here , I had considered Profiler as well ? Im just trying to see if the extra money for a brodix head is really going to help me any over the better priced AFR or any other cyl head, the advertised flow numbers are very similar but they are only what they are showing on the websites and everyone knows that those numbers arent always spot on
apm

Post by apm »

Yep the price is that much different here in Australia, its more like $2500 in aussie dollars
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

Imo anything under 380 is too small, if you are after power.. it's a big engine give it 20 more degrees of cam so it can make power to 6500..
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Talk to the people at ProMaxx, they'll get you heads down there in Australia! Sounds like you can use the DOLLAR help whether they be US or Australian dollars mate!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
cab0154
Pro
Pro

Post by cab0154 »

How big of a cam and what is the desired powerband?
"Anyone who thinks the low RPM engine will be faster just does not have as much experience as the rest of us" -The late, great Joe Sherman.

You wont beat anyone if you do everything the same as everyone.
MELWAY
Guru
Guru

Post by MELWAY »

The AFR 385 is a potent head to make good power

The Brodix is probably a stronger more durable casting but smaller port might cost you power
3370lb Sedan 9.89@136MPH 358chevN/A
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Headguy wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:31 pm Imo anything under 380 is too small, if you are after power.. it's a big engine give it 20 more degrees of cam so it can make power to 6500..
Plus, no matter what it gets for street tires, behind a 632" with a high stall converter they aren't going to hook up regardless of the port and cam size...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.