AFR vs Brodix

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PRH
Guru
Guru

Re: AFR vs Brodix

Post by PRH »

I can’t imagine the AFR’s wouldn’t get you to your target power level on that type of build.

Just use the saved $1500 towards other parts.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

NormS wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:50 pm A street engine needs to make torque and power through the widest possible rpm range, and have decent low speed/part throttle characteristics. I suggest using the smallest port volume intake port that has the flow that the engine needs to make the power that is needed. Hopefully the power goals are realistic, otherwise you could end up with something that might not be what is needed for a street machine. It takes torque to move a 3600# car, so if heads and cam are chosen to reach an unrealistic peak HP goal, the lower end of the rpm range could suffer.
Last edited by vortecpro on Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

vortecpro wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:04 pm
NormS wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:50 pm A street engine needs to make torque and power through the widest possible rpm range, and have decent low speed/part throttle characteristics. I suggest using the smallest port volume intake port that has the flow that the engine needs to make the power that is needed. Hopefully the power goals are realistic, otherwise you could end up with something that might not be what is needed for a street machine. It takes torque to move a 3600# car, so if heads and cam are chosen to reach an unrealistic peak HP goal, the lower end of the rpm range could suffer.
What size intake runner would you use on a 632? Is it possible to go to big on the intake runner with a conventional lay out head on a 632? What would you consider a realistic HP goal?
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

vortecpro wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:06 pm
vortecpro wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:04 pm
What size intake runner would you use on a 632? Is it possible to go to big on the intake runner with a conventional lay out head on a 632? What would you consider a realistic HP goal?
Good luck making a conventional port too big for a 632. The best thing you can do is have a huge head and a big cam. It moves peak torque to where the biggest street tire might have a chance on the street.

Even with a 280@.050 cam you will make 800lb ft.. or you can be like a GM engineer in the 70s and shoot for under 1hp/ci
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Of course............that was my point
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

GURU is only a name.
Adam
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

MadBill wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:44 am
Headguy wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:31 pm Imo anything under 380 is too small, if you are after power.. it's a big engine give it 20 more degrees of cam so it can make power to 6500..
Plus, no matter what it gets for street tires, behind a 632" with a high stall converter they aren't going to hook up regardless of the port and cam size...
Quoting both. I agree. I personally think, "street" 632's are stupid to build. They simply make WAY to much tq at low rpm to be useful. Especially how most guys are brainwashed to be WAY to conservative with cam shafts and cylinder heads.