General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Re: 1960's engine wars

Post by Truckedup »

ptuomov wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:44 am
Truckedup wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:32 am :D ...I live in a rural area with all two lane curvy roads with blind turns and less than smooth road surfaces. A high HP heavy car is not a useful tool in this environment..If I lived out west , much more useful...
The E63S Wagon gets driven a lot miles with snow tires on in Vermont. It's stupidly fast and highly controllable on snow and ice. It's really the ideal (on road) winter car for the Northeast.

The S65 Coupe, not so much. Wouldn't take that out to the mountains.
My winter drivers are beat up 4 wheel drive Jeeps and compact trucks..My criteria is the ability to pushed a stalled vehicle or fallen tree out the way..They don't go all that fast but boy can they be fun fishtailing and throwing rooster tails of ice and gravel on snow covered roads... :D
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
DrillDawg
Expert
Expert

Post by DrillDawg »

Now if I was going to build a 650 tri. 1mile bike....I would use a late 60's main frame and a 65 rear section, the front end and swing arm assembly from mid 70's RD 250\350, 750 cases with blueprinted 5 speed, early 60's crank with small flywheel, 750 rods, 750 barrels sleeved to 650 bore, New bronze lifter blocks, std. Lifters, steel tube pushrods, modern custom pistons and ring package, early 750 head with the spread intakes, lighten rocker arms with offset buttons for more lift, polished and coated inter crankcases, polished and coated flywheel and crank, 30mm square body amals, belt drive and dry clutch, 750 lighten and coated cam gears, sludge trap removed with external oil filter, morgo oil pump, wheels laced with narrow 18" aluminum rims with skinny ribbed tires aired up to 45 psi, none o-ring 520 chain, magnetic pickup with aftermarket hei module, jap 4 cyl coil, single plug head, cam and head setup for 8500 rpm, bike geared to match, 1-3\4" two into one exhaust system with straight collector, rear drum and front disc setup not to rub while under power, ceramic non sealed wheel bearings with synthetic light grease, 16 volt battery, Champion style fiberglass gas tank, hire the smallest lightest flattracker I could find and do some dyno and track testing at whatever elevation the meet was going to be at. Then buy the rule book, lol.
BORN RIGHT THE FIRST TIME
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

DrillDawg wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:15 pm Now if I was going to build a 650 tri. 1mile bike....I would use a late 60's main frame and a 65 rear section, the front end and swing arm assembly from mid 70's RD 250\350, 750 cases with blueprinted 5 speed, early 60's crank with small flywheel, 750 rods, 750 barrels sleeved to 650 bore, New bronze lifter blocks, std. Lifters, steel tube pushrods, modern custom pistons and ring package, early 750 head with the spread intakes, lighten rocker arms with offset buttons for more lift, polished and coated inter crankcases, polished and coated flywheel and crank, 30mm square body amals, belt drive and dry clutch, 750 lighten and coated cam gears, sludge trap removed with external oil filter, morgo oil pump, wheels laced with narrow 18" aluminum rims with skinny ribbed tires aired up to 45 psi, none o-ring 520 chain, magnetic pickup with aftermarket hei module, jap 4 cyl coil, single plug head, cam and head setup for 8500 rpm, bike geared to match, 1-3\4" two into one exhaust system with straight collector, rear drum and front disc setup not to rub while under power, ceramic non sealed wheel bearings with synthetic light grease, 16 volt battery, Champion style fiberglass gas tank, hire the smallest lightest flattracker I could find and do some dyno and track testing at whatever elevation the meet was going to be at. Then buy the rule book, lol.
You do know for several years I had fastest LSR modified production pushrod 650 bike in the USA ? My record was just beat by 1 mph by another 650 Triumph built by a guy I know, he admitted to strong tail wind but it counts ,no excuses.
My bike runs 133 plus MPH on the 1-1/2 mile standing start using a mere 7000 rpm..The other Triumph has more compression and a bit more cam and ran 134 MPH on the same track a few weeks ago...I wasn't at the track this time...
The engine I built use a 70 650 engine with a stock nitrited crankshaft, R&R aluminum rods, mild Sifton #390 cams, Smith Bros moly pushrods, Kibble white valves and springs. The 70 Bonneville head has raised intake port floors and 34 MM Mikuni flatslide carbs.The ignition is an off the shelf Pazon waste spark.two 1-1/2 x 34 inch straight pipes.Nothing is lightened inside the engine..The clutch and primary are stock Triumph as is the 4 speed trans..Tires are 100/90-19 V rated on stock later Triumph wheels...The bike starts on one kick and idles like a stock bike...The bike makes a measly 55 rear wheel HP at 7000 rpm and 46 ft lbs of torque at 5200 and still retains 90 percent of the torque at 7000....It was jetted once on the dyno and never rejetted at the track for different air density

Mine looks like this, only no snow at the track LOL

Build your bike ,come to the track....
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
DrillDawg
Expert
Expert

Post by DrillDawg »

Thanks for the picture and information, built that twingle yet, lol.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

This thread may yet set the record for wandering farthest off topic.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
DrillDawg
Expert
Expert

Post by DrillDawg »

I knew it was dead when they started talking bikes.....
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

"They?" Wait a mo Dawg! Isn't that you five posts back giving meticulously detailed suggested specs. for a vintage LSR bike build? :lol:
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
DrillDawg
Expert
Expert

Post by DrillDawg »

MadBill wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:57 pm "They?" Wait a mo Dawg! Isn't that you five posts back giving meticulously detailed suggested specs. for a vintage LSR bike build? :lol:
LOL, "they" started the bike stuff on page three, I just joined in after the fatal shoot :lol: .

I guess they didn't like my hotrod ford posts before that :cry: .
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

I started the bike talk....For some of us the 60's muscle cars were what we saw in rear view mirrors of our bikes.. :D No one is forcing anyone to read the off topic bike stuff..Just keep talking on topic....
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

While the 60's was probably the pinnacle of hipo engines ford had some of its fastest production cars in 71. Case in point the 71boss 351 and the scj429 cars. I think in show room form the 351bosd put the hurt on a lot of bigger cubed cars. Even the 428 cj cars had a tough go till they received better rubber than the factory hides.
DrillDawg
Expert
Expert

Post by DrillDawg »

The chevy 427 mystery motor showed up at the 63 Daytona 500 and was running away with show until they ran into valve spring and water pump problems then the anti-racing policy was handed down and production stopped. Then in 65 the engines came out in production cars. The hemi cleaned up in 64 and ford hi-riser cleaned up in 65 when chrysler pulled out of nascar.

After that on the street, the chevy big blocks were easy to get and a 67 camero and a L-88 long block with a ZL-1 cam was hard to beat with an easy 550 to 600 bolted together hp with factory parts. Chevy just made it easy for the avg. guy.
Last edited by DrillDawg on Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

DrillDawg wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:16 am The chevy 427 mystery motor showed up at the 63 Daytona 500 and was running away with show until they ran into valve spring and water pump problems then the anti-racing policy was handed down and production stopped. Then in 65 the engines came out in production cars. The hemi cleaned up in 64 and ford hi-riser cleaned up in 65 when chrysler pulled out of nascar.

After that on the street, the chevy big blocks were easy to get and a 67 camero the a L-88 long block with a ZL-1 cam was hard to beat with an easy 550 to 600 bolted together with factory parts. Chevy just made it easy for the avg. guy.
Yes, and the drag strip were pretty much a SBC and BBC show for Mr Average..They probably still are?
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

I’m a die hard Ford guy but the Boss 351
Stock would not turn 13s My bud
Bought 1 from Doran Ford in NJ.
I later installed one of the Ford I dash A/C
Kits cause this big body Mustangs were Hotboxes.
Please look at summation of ‘71 Road Tests

“Not to rain on the parade of middle Boss fans, but as we've reviewed no less than nine tests of the day, we see the majority of 13-second timeslips were obtained with cars-often the same press car-fitted with aftermarket headers. Car Craft's Mar. '71 test (13.74) even mentions its Boss was prepped by Stroppe's shop, with at least Doug Thorley headers and Superior Industries rear stabilizer springs. Additionally, it states, "We also suspected the engine had been romanced." So equipped, the same car as tested by Hot Rod's Steve Kelly eventually worked down to a best of 13.58 by bypassing the rev-limiter and uncorking the headers. Motor Trend's 13.80 (Jan. '71) and Road Test's 13.98 (Mar. '71) were also obtained on test cars with headers-impressive, but simply not stock. Still, two tests stand out as achieving the coveted 13-second timeslip in stock form: the Mar. '71 issue of Super Stock (13.93) and the Feb. '71 issue of Car and Driver (13.90). Interestingly, the Car and Driver evaluation noted, "You'll probably never find a stock Boss 351 that's any quicker than the test car. It had been specially prepared by Ford engineering for an East Coast press preview." While Car and Driver officially listed its e.t. at New York National Speedway as 14.10 at 100.6, the magazine explained its test pilot scored the 13.90 when using "the approved Ronnie Sox method of driving, which is to say wide-open “throttle shifts." Perhaps Car and Driver had a policy of not listing its best e.t. when it involved abusive tactics?”

Dave B
LIGHT 'EM UP
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Dave that's probably all true but i bet even the cj's didn't run as fast as the test cars. I know here you could not sell your big block cars as the boss cars and even the standard Clevelands would put hurt on most.
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

Steve ,
You are right .
For and east coast guy I was pretty lucky I got to work at what I believe was the first Highway dealer on the east coast
Jack Gibbons City Ford .Started in'69 we were a so called performance dealer sold Shelbys and a lot of Ford
high Perf cars. winter of '69 we actually had about 10 Talladega's in a row on the back lot basically impossible to
sell cause FoMoCo offered no options on the Talladega and the color combos not to mention the column
shifted Slush box bench seat interior was unappealing to most buyers.
Any way I have full knowledge of these "69 -'71 cars and i believe that the fastest Ford stocker was the '71 SCJ 429 Mustang,
I do know when we got our first of 2 '69 Boss 9s in we staged an impromptu "Display of Speed " between one of the the Boss 9s
and one of the '69 drag Pack 428 SCJs we had on the back lot on the Highway out front just before the shop closed at 11PM and the 428FE kicked A-s. That being said as you could disconnect the ford rev limiter and reconnect with ease we surely replaced a lot of CJ engines under warranty,
But they were great days and the 2 shop foremen both had pieced together CJs in there 63 Boxtop and 65 tbird ragtops.

Dave B
LIGHT 'EM UP