how much NET valve lift to employ ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Re: how much NET valve lift to employ ?

Post by RevTheory »

I have two programs that somehow compute max lift. One uses valve size and the other I'm guessing intake duration plus total engine combo I'm sure, but they can be as much as .050 off for the same combo (.650 on one and .600 on the other, respectively). I wonder what each one uses to come up with that "max lift" value :-k

Perhaps that's one of those calculations that nobody really pays attention to. Beats me as I've never built an engine to those exact lift numbers and compared the two.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

hoffman900 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:23 pm Dynamically, it allows for more lift area where you need it (which isn't necessarily peak).
Correct answer.
Peak air flow does not occur at max lift; it occurs somewhat earlier where lift is less. By increasing max lift, the curve is also raised at the max flow crank angle.

But, if valve curtain area (lift, valve size) is adequate, and port area is adequate (at the anticipated rpm), then excess max lift may not be necessary.
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

David Redszus wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:58 am
hoffman900 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:23 pm Dynamically, it allows for more lift area where you need it (which isn't necessarily peak).
Correct answer.
Peak air flow does not occur at max lift; it occurs somewhat earlier where lift is less. By increasing max lift, the curve is also raised at the max flow crank angle.

But, if valve curtain area (lift, valve size) is adequate, and port area is adequate (at the anticipated rpm), then excess max lift may not be necessary.
Explain "adequate"
Tom
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

zums wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:00 pm
Correct answer.

Explain "adequate"
Tom
Enough to do what you want it to do!
Craig.
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

cjperformance wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Correct answer.

Explain "adequate"
Tom
Really,? no kidding, and how do you use adequate in your engine building process
Tom
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

zums wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:05 pm
cjperformance wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Explain "adequate"
Tom
Really,? no kidding, and how do you use adequate in your engine building process
Tom
C'mon that didnt get a giggle!? :lol:
Adequate as in, enough airflow/csa to support the hp required, enough valve lift to access that airflow, as a loose start I will look at "lift where airflow is adequate X .88" to get a "quick and dirty" look at how much lift i need then asses wether that lift is practical(can i use more or do i have to use less) for the use going off of requirements like drag, endurance, lifter type , duration, intake type, exhaust system type, rpm range that will be used and of course the ever present constraint of budget.
Craig.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

What David R. From Chicago said about Peak air flow being at less than full lift, now this sheds some light on the importance of how big the intake valve actually is, who agrees with this? Mark H.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Valve lift cannot normally be specified independent of duration. There are limits to valve acceleration which must be observed. If acceleration limits are observed, then increased lift must result in increased duration. That may be good or may not.
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Similarly - if you need more lift away from the centreline (eg at point of max flow), you have to increase max lift or duration (or acceleration).