how much NET valve lift to employ ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

how much NET valve lift to employ ?

Post by swampbuggy »

S.B.C. Gen. 1 Max. effort deal. , 4.185" X 3.375" = 371 C.I. , we will flow the heads WITH intake and carb. in place. These parts should flow 400 cfm at appx. .800 lift. Now lets just say the test shows the max. flow is actually (factually) at .800" lift. My question is to you folks who have actually TESTED and KNOW, how much extra net lift do you add to the peak flow lift number :?: Please answer honestly from your personal way of doing this, because it will be interesting to see any differences from one engine builder to another. Thanks Mark H. Oh BTW i certainly do not want to employ any MORE lift than i need to, and also this engine SHOULD make peak H.P. in the area of 8500 to 9000 R.P.M. if that makes any difference. Mark H.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Re: how much NET valve lift to employ ?

Post by Warp Speed »

swampbuggy wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:20 am S.B.C. Gen. 1 Max. effort deal. , 4.185" X 3.375" = 371 C.I. , we will flow the heads WITH intake and carb. in place. These parts should flow 400 cfm at appx. .800 lift. Now lets just say the test shows the max. flow is actually (factually) at .800" lift. My question is to you folks who have actually TESTED and KNOW, how much extra net lift do you add to the peak flow lift number :?: Please answer honestly from your personal way of doing this, because it will be interesting to see any differences from one engine builder to another. Thanks Mark H. Oh BTW i certainly do not want to employ any MORE lift than i need to, and also this engine SHOULD make peak H.P. in the area of 8500 to 9000 R.P.M. if that makes any difference. Mark H.
As much as you can afford without further compromising the open and closing events.
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

It may not matter, just depends on the combination. I've had a fair amount of experience with engines that do not respond to additional valve lift. If you engine doesn't need more lift then you're just wasting energy.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

I think it is the mid lift flows that are more important to cylinder filling, because those are encountered twice in the intake cycle. I would look at the flows at the higher valve lifts to see at what lift the flow is starting to taper off. If the flow is barely bigger at .750" compared to .700" flow, and .800" flow is barely bigger than .750" flow, I would say max valve lift of around .750" would work well. Instead, I suggest concentrating on maximizing mid lift flows, say from .300"-.600" lift.
I had an engine some time ago that had really good mid lift flow numbers, and disappointing high lift flow. It was cammed taking into account where the flow tapered off at the high lifts, and it ran really well. Even though your intake system combo has the highest flow at .800" lift, that doesn't necessarily mean that the mixture velocity into the cylinder at that lift is going to be beneficial to cylinder filling.
Competition Fuel Systems Birch Run,MI. www.compfuelsystems.com/index.html 520-241-2787
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

This graph shows the cylinder head flow mapped onto the cam. The upper set of lines is is using 2.0:1 rocker arm ratio and the bottom set of lines is using 1.6:1 rocker arm ratio.

Stan
ab-cfm-2-1-6rar.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

Who cares what the heads flow. Max effort is max lift you can attain.FACT
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I'm with Warp. re targeting 'affordable' intake lift, since diminishing returns and escalating build and maintenance costs loom when (depending on head specs and application) it gets much over 0.800", especially for a single carb, modest displacement SBC.
With correct inputs I've found Dynomation to be an accurate predictor of engine characteristics and with a port flow that pretty much flattens out~ 0.800", it shows ever-smaller gains as the lift is increased beyond that range, e.g. if going from 0.650" to 0.700" adds 25 HP, stepping up to 0.750" might be good for 15 HP more, 0.800" adds 10 more, 0.850" gains maybe 6, etc...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Would somebody, or can somebody explain ( WHY ) in words understandable that adding more valve lift past a point ADDS more power :?: Mark H.
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

swampbuggy wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:53 am Would somebody, or can somebody explain ( WHY ) in words understandable that adding more valve lift past a point ADDS more power :?: Mark H.
Time above the lift of peak flow.

Rick
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

swampbuggy wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:53 am Would somebody, or can somebody explain ( WHY ) in words understandable that adding more valve lift past a point ADDS more power :?: Mark H.
It only adds power if the engine needs more air. The cam is not always the limiting factor. If the cam isn't the limiting factor then adding more lift just beats up the valvetrain and the engine doesn't make more power.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Thx. To all who made replays, Mark H. =D>
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Dynamically, it allows for more lift area where you need it (which isn't necessarily peak).
-Bob
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

its never enough.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »