to fast over SSR

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: to fast over SSR

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Rick360 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:07 pm % of valve diameter is what most are referring. For a given valve size you can do the seats a hundred different ways that could give you different throat % if using a valve seat reference. Typical conventional seats has the seat OD the same as valve OD so it wouldn't matter. Throat % of valve od makes sense to use since that indicates how much room you have to make your valve seat and bottom cuts in any manner you want.

I had not heard/seen anyone mention throat to valve seat % before reading it in this thread.

Rick
I have been using actual seat O.D. for over 30 years to measure the true percentage difference and, as I said ... anyone can use whatever dimension they want to use.

EVERY single head from any O.E.M. manufacturer, (MILLIONS of heads), has the seating area considerably inboard of the valve head diameter. Now they certainly aren't race heads but, I definitely would consider them CONVENTIONAL, especially when trying to make comparisons.

Again, use whatever dimension YOU want.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

mag2555 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:31 am Just work slow and make a flow test ( keep good notes and take photos ) after every .030" you remove to get a good grip on how things are trending.
Keep a close eye on your Intake flow numbers @ .200" and .550" , you would be doing well to have 140 cfm or better@ .200"@ 28".
Clay can be your great friend as you can add it in at places to see how fast flow numbers change / go down and by doing such you can then judge with good certainty what parts of the port will thru rework provide the most flow gain for the least amount of port enlargement.

Steve, those heads have real good Exh numbers at .100" and .200" for a 1.50" valve with also coming close to the ports peak flow at around .400"!
Let us know before you go head long into reworking the Exh ports.

Whenever port a head 98% of the time I am doing a valve job to some extent just to get the main seat out to with in .010" to .005" of valve OD so valve ODis what I judge the Throat percentage off of.
Where is the piston @.2 valve lift, why would you want 140 cfm @ that lift
Tom
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

zums wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:10 pm
mag2555 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:31 am Just work slow and make a flow test ( keep good notes and take photos ) after every .030" you remove to get a good grip on how things are trending.
Keep a close eye on your Intake flow numbers @ .200" and .550" , you would be doing well to have 140 cfm or better@ .200"@ 28".
Clay can be your great friend as you can add it in at places to see how fast flow numbers change / go down and by doing such you can then judge with good certainty what parts of the port will thru rework provide the most flow gain for the least amount of port enlargement.

Steve, those heads have real good Exh numbers at .100" and .200" for a 1.50" valve with also coming close to the ports peak flow at around .400"!
Let us know before you go head long into reworking the Exh ports.

Whenever port a head 98% of the time I am doing a valve job to some extent just to get the main seat out to with in .010" to .005" of valve OD so valve ODis what I judge the Throat percentage off of.
Where is the piston @.2 valve lift, why would you want 140 cfm @ that lift
Tom
My 18º dart heads with a 2.15 valve only flow 134cfm. I guess they are junk. Only 870hp 434ci.

Steve-don't worry about the low lift flow and don't EVER give up flow (even a little bit) in mid or high lift to gain flow at .200" lift.

Rick
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Rick360 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:29 pm
Steve-don't worry about the low lift flow and don't EVER give up flow (even a little bit) in mid or high lift to gain flow at .200" lift.

Rick
That statement is painted with an awfully wide brush ... with an N.H.R.A. "stocker" with a combination where only .382" to .390" intake valve lift is allowed; pretty much all the flow you can get anywhere above .075" is useful. :-k
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:38 pm
Rick360 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:29 pm

Rick
That statement is painted with a pretty wide brush ... with an N.H.R.A. "stocker" which only is allowed .382" to .390" intake valve lift, pretty much all you can get anywhere above .075" is useful. :-k
Maybe a bit broad, I haven't built one. Maybe the right number for a Stock class sbc would be <.150". Likely other engines/combo's I am not familiar with that may not apply perfectly, but in general, low lift flow (may be different lift value for different engines) is either unimportant or detrimental to power production.

Rick
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

How is it that so many builders find it hard to see the big link between good flow numbers @.200" or so and how much VE the motor makes due to scavenging with a well tuned Exh system?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

mag2555 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:19 am How is it that so many builders find it hard to see the big link between good flow numbers @.200" or so and how much VE the motor makes due to scavenging with a well tuned Exh system?
Maybe it would clear it up for you to display your highest ve achieved with this process?
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Hi Chad,
i am 18 pages into reading project SN again,there is some great information provided by you guys on cam timing,valve events,seat angles etc,really appreciate that thread
for sure,can you give me an update on where it ended up,i understand there was some ring seal stuff going on and i understand you a deep in the LS3 stuff at the moment,just curious that's all
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

Well on the flip side of the issue you comment on CGT maybe you can provide evidence as to why it would not?
Let's see now about this.
1) both valves open at overlap.
2) The tune of the Exh system is yanking on the Intake column back thru the Intake valve with many times the 1" depression that a cylinder ever see's across it, but there's no benefit to this to you in a NA motor?

You can think your way, but thanks a bunch , I'LL just keep looking at things like this my way!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
68corvette
Pro
Pro

Post by 68corvette »

Maximum potential VE increase depends on compression ratio.
The higher the CR, the lower the calculated increase potential is.
Increase potential is simple to calculate by calculating swept volume percentual volume ratio compared to cylinders displacement volume.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

mag2555 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:23 am Well on the flip side of the issue you comment on CGT maybe you can provide evidence as to why it would not?
Let's see now about this.
1) both valves open at overlap.
2) The tune of the Exh system is yanking on the Intake column back thru the Intake valve with many times the 1" depression that a cylinder ever see's across it, but there's no benefit to this to you in a NA motor?

You can think your way, but thanks a bunch , I'LL just keep looking at things like this my way!
Oh I get it now.
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

Agreed 68corrvette , the size of the chamber that the Exh has to suck down first before it sucks on the Intake port is a factor, but percentage wise on race motors its not that big a spread because even though the chamber may be bigger in a 14.5 comp 632 cid motor as compared to the same compression 540 cid motor , the bigger motor is making a somewhat bigger depression in the Exh system also.

And by the way, on a flat out race motor I am not saying that you should for go high lift flow for the sake of low lift flow but there is a balance to things one you lock down the power band that the motor will need to proform its best in!
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

steve cowan wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:09 am Hi Chad,
i am 18 pages into reading project SN again,there is some great information provided by you guys on cam timing,valve events,seat angles etc,really appreciate that thread
for sure,can you give me an update on where it ended up,i understand there was some ring seal stuff going on and i understand you a deep in the LS3 stuff at the moment,just curious that's all
SN is back together, ring seal issue fixed [-o< . Just waiting on some more comfortable weather to be in the dyno room. I'm still planning on base lining with the bullet cam, then trying the Comp. Pm me if there is anything your interested to know....and yeah, I think their is a lot of info in that thread that is overlooked by many.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

mag2555 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:19 am How is it that so many builders find it hard to see the big link between good flow numbers @.200" or so and how much VE the motor makes due to scavenging with a well tuned Exh system?
I'd say it's because most of us aren't up to your level of understanding of the ICE. :lol:

Randy
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

hi guys,
during the week i made a template of one of the stock SSR,i used this a reference for when i took the SSR down from 1.130'' down to 1.050''.
i retested this morning,test correction and leakage accounted for,CFM is down a couple after 0.500'' lift,is this a issue?? velocity is more realistic and stable,the port sounds quieter and smoother now,please let me know what you guys think looking at my test data,all velocity was taken half inch prior to the SSR apex,velocity at port opening at all test pressures was approx 250-260 ft/sec.
002.JPG
pay no attention to velocity,was done at full lift and different depressions
007.JPG
010.JPG
011.JPG
009.JPG
hopefully my diagrams are easy follow,seems the fastest velocity now is just past the PRP area,would this require to be slightly wider in that area??
done final measurements and cc the intake port,the PRP was measured at the narrowest area around the bulge.
AVG PORT CSA = floor + roof divided by 2 = 5.51'' no radius factored in
intake port CC = 178 cc
1.94'' intake valve - throat is @ 89.5% = 1.73''
PRP = 1.01'' x 1.77'' = 1.81'' no radius factored in,
any feed back appriciated.
PS - not taking radius into the equation is it a big deal??????????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"