9:00am - 9:00pm EST
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: to fast over SSR

Post by GARY C »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:35 am
Headguy wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:06 pm
groberts101 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:32 am How are you guys measuring throat %'s? Using seat OD.. or ID?
Why would you ever use seat od?
ONCE AGAIN; you show little clue about what is going on ... you need TWO factors to derive throat percentage.
Most people use Valve O.D. as one of the factors which should be close but, not really correct.
So what do you guys consider correct?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Forgiveness asked for, in my picture it's a Vortec head.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

165 flow 001.JPG
165 flow 003.JPG
bench checked for calibration by my plate and leakage accounted for,all electronic
i put in exhaust probe to the bend of the 10 inch pipe to get velocity ,i dont know if this is correct procedure.
mag i made a template last night for the stock SSR,i will make another template for the modified SSR.
i want to recheck a stock port after the valve job and see where i am at
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

mag2555 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:37 pm Forgiveness asked for, in my picture it's a Vortec head.
I think they are both correct technically. It's such a small difference anyhow. There is just some tension between the 2 that they try to one up each other. Headguy is saying you use the valve diameter x .9= 2.025. That would be 90% of a 2.25. Walter is saying I am assuming, he is talking about the max od of the actual valve seat that is cut on the head. Say it's cut .010 smaller than the actual valve diameter, which for a 2.25 valve would be 2.2275, then use that number to calculate the throat % which would be 2.005 throat at 90%. This reply was meant to quote Gary C's question, of who is right, headguy or Walter
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

GARY C wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:31 pm
So what do you guys consider correct?
The outside edge of the actual valve seating is my choice. Sometimes, that is quite a bit smaller than the valve O.D.
Other people can figure whatever they want.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Biteme
Pro
Pro

Post by Biteme »

On the sbc dart heads is there a water jacket under the short side?
How far down is it?
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Frankshaft wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:43 pm
mag2555 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:37 pm Forgiveness asked for, in my picture it's a Vortec head.
I think they are both correct technically. It's such a small difference anyhow. There is just some tension between the 2 that they try to one up each other. Headguy is saying you use the valve diameter x .9= 2.025. That would be 90% of a 2.25. Walter is saying I am assuming, he is talking about the max od of the actual valve seat that is cut on the head. Say it's cut .010 smaller than the actual valve diameter, which for a 2.25 valve would be 2.2275, then use that number to calculate the throat % which would be 2.005 throat at 90%. This reply was meant to quote Gary C's question, of who is right, headguy or Walter
Just curious, I have seen people say "% of valve diameter" and others say "% of valve seat".
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

Carnut1 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:04 am Matt, those the EQ vortec?
Factory iron LT1 from a B-body.
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

% of valve diameter is what most are referring. For a given valve size you can do the seats a hundred different ways that could give you different throat % if using a valve seat reference. Typical conventional seats has the seat OD the same as valve OD so it wouldn't matter. Throat % of valve od makes sense to use since that indicates how much room you have to make your valve seat and bottom cuts in any manner you want.

I had not heard/seen anyone mention throat to valve seat % before reading it in this thread.

Rick
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Rick360 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:07 pm % of valve diameter is what most are referring. For a given valve size you can do the seats a hundred different ways that could give you different throat % if using a valve seat reference. Typical conventional seats has the seat OD the same as valve OD so it wouldn't matter. Throat % of valve od makes sense to use since that indicates how much room you have to make your valve seat and bottom cuts in any manner you want.

I had not heard/seen anyone mention throat to valve seat % before reading it in this thread.

Rick
Valve diameter is what I was taught but the I wonder about the exhaust where the seat is not on the outer edge of the valve?
Please Note!
xanadu
Pro
Pro

Post by xanadu »

G'day Steve. Just wondering what flow bench you have. Thanlks
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

xanadu wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:42 am G'day Steve. Just wondering what flow bench you have. Thanlks
FLOWBENCH MANUFACTURING AUSTRALIA
there website has a bit of details or you can ring Warren and have a chat,4-8 weeks for a bench to be made to order
215 pro 1 014.JPG
Ok guys,
i am at 89.5% throat which is 1.94'' - 10.5 % = 1.73'' which is what i have,
i am going to lay SSR down from 1.130'' off deck down to 1.050'' and test,and if i am heading in the right direction keep working from there,
any feedback appriciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Just work slow and make a flow test ( keep good notes and take photos ) after every .030" you remove to get a good grip on how things are trending.
Keep a close eye on your Intake flow numbers @ .200" and .550" , you would be doing well to have 140 cfm or better@ .200"@ 28".
Clay can be your great friend as you can add it in at places to see how fast flow numbers change / go down and by doing such you can then judge with good certainty what parts of the port will thru rework provide the most flow gain for the least amount of port enlargement.

Steve, those heads have real good Exh numbers at .100" and .200" for a 1.50" valve with also coming close to the ports peak flow at around .400"!
Let us know before you go head long into reworking the Exh ports.

Whenever port a head 98% of the time I am doing a valve job to some extent just to get the main seat out to with in .010" to .005" of valve OD so valve ODis what I judge the Throat percentage off of.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Then do you add area to account for the stem? After all, it is taking up area. Add roughly .010 to your calculated throat %.