Stock class heads. No porting

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Steve.k
Expert
Expert
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 10:41 am

Stock class heads. No porting

Post by Steve.k » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:45 am

IMG_2758.JPG
picked up a set of cleveland cast 4v heads a guy started for stock class. Look decent to me anything you guys see.chambers measure 62.6cc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4062
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am
Location: Roseville, Michigan (just north of Detroit)
Contact:

Re: Stock class heads. No porting

Post by Walter R. Malik » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:16 am

Steve.k wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:45 am
IMG_2758.JPG picked up a set of cleveland cast 4v heads a guy started for stock class. Look decent to me anything you guys see.chambers measure 62.6cc
Going through the NHRA teardown barn with a "stocker" is a real joke now days ... they don't even take a valve out as long as the port is the correct cc's or even look much at the cylinder heads other than obvious stuff. I saw illegal stuff from 10 feet away which passed inspection.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.

PRH
Member
Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:16 pm
Location: S. Burlington, Vt.

Re: Stock class heads. No porting

Post by PRH » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:30 am

Description on the sheet says “super stock”...... which would allow for porting.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.

SupStk
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1493
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:25 pm
Location: Box Elder, SD

Re: Stock class heads. No porting

Post by SupStk » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:49 am

What casting number are the heads?
From the flow results, I'm guessing they aren't legal Stock class heads.
If you can get 'em to pass tech they should work.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine

PRH
Member
Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:16 pm
Location: S. Burlington, Vt.

Re: Stock class heads. No porting

Post by PRH » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:56 am

I’ve never flow tested a Cleveland 4v head so I have no personal reference point, and I didn’t see any mention of a flow tube being used........ but 2-teens on the exhaust side seems like a pretty big number from an unported head that isn’t usually touted as having a great exhaust port as cast.

Is that normally about what they flow?
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.

User avatar
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3029
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:58 pm
Location: Murfreesboro TN
Contact:

Re: Stock class heads. No porting

Post by Alan Roehrich » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:58 am

It is amazing, or maybe disgusting is a better word, what will actually pass tech in NHRA Stock Eliminator these days. Half the time, you can't get a tech guy to actually tell you what is or is not legal, outside of exotic materials in valves, springs or retainers, and welding or epoxy. An honest, old school cylinder head guy and/or racer is going to struggle. I've seen heads that were so altered that the valves no longer aligned with the valve reliefs in legal pistons.

blykins
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2049
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:59 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Stock class heads. No porting

Post by blykins » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:59 pm

PRH wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:56 am
I’ve never flow tested a Cleveland 4v head so I have no personal reference point, and I didn’t see any mention of a flow tube being used........ but 2-teens on the exhaust side seems like a pretty big number from an unported head that isn’t usually touted as having a great exhaust port as cast.

Is that normally about what they flow?
They are usually a lot worse than that.

That's some pretty good work on a set of heads. Good numbers, both intake and exhaust, and look like they have titanium valves.

Should run real well.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com

SupStk
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1493
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:25 pm
Location: Box Elder, SD

Re: Stock class heads. No porting

Post by SupStk » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:11 pm

PRH wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:56 am
I’ve never flow tested a Cleveland 4v head so I have no personal reference point, and I didn’t see any mention of a flow tube being used........ but 2-teens on the exhaust side seems like a pretty big number from an unported head that isn’t usually touted as having a great exhaust port as cast.

Is that normally about what they flow?
Those heads flow better than any stock Cleveland heads I've tested. The numbers are close to a mildly reworked head. What makes me think they have been worked is all the "C" heads I've done will go turbulent about .700 lift unless the SSR is reworked.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine

blykins
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2049
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:59 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Stock class heads. No porting

Post by blykins » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:19 pm

Last set that I played with:

.100 98 66
.200 147 103
.300 205 138
.400 260 160
.500 295 174
.600 300 181
.700 312 188
.800 315 188

No port work. Exhaust was flowed without a pipe. Now, there is a caveat. The heads were flowed on a 4.155" bore plate because I was too lazy to swap them out.

As they were, unmolested, one head was 65cc and the other head was 63cc. Cut .040" off of one and .030" off the other to get to 58cc.

That's a 50° seat on the intake side, with Ferrea 2.190/1.710 11/32 valves.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com

Steve.k
Expert
Expert
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 10:41 am

Re: Stock class heads. No porting

Post by Steve.k » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:26 pm

SupStk wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:49 am
What casting number are the heads?
From the flow results, I'm guessing they aren't legal Stock class heads.
If you can get 'em to pass tech they should work.
They are legal. Stock valve size and correct replacement stainless valve. Doae heads. Fwiw i have flow tested bone stock d3ae open chamber heads with small valve. They typically 310 on intake. These closed chambers usually 280 ish stock.Stock Eliminator heads.

blykins
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2049
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:59 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Stock class heads. No porting

Post by blykins » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:38 pm

Steve.k wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:26 pm
SupStk wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:49 am
What casting number are the heads?
From the flow results, I'm guessing they aren't legal Stock class heads.
If you can get 'em to pass tech they should work.
They are legal. Stock valve size and correct replacement stainless valve. Doae heads. Fwiw i have flow tested bone stock d3ae open chamber heads with small valve. They typically 310 on intake. These closed chambers usually 280 ish stock.Stock Eliminator heads.
77g stainless 2.190" intake valve?

I've got some Ferrea 6139 intake valves here, 2.190" x 11/32" x 5.275", they weigh 148g.
Last edited by blykins on Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com

SupStk
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1493
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:25 pm
Location: Box Elder, SD

Re: Stock class heads. No porting

Post by SupStk » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:41 pm

Steve.k wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:26 pm
SupStk wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:49 am
What casting number are the heads?
From the flow results, I'm guessing they aren't legal Stock class heads.
If you can get 'em to pass tech they should work.
They are legal. Stock valve size and correct replacement stainless valve. Doae heads. Fwiw i have flow tested bone stock d3ae open chamber heads with small valve. They typically 310 on intake. These closed chambers usually 280 ish stock.Stock Eliminator heads.
Just curious, are you building a Boss stocker?
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine

Steve.k
Expert
Expert
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 10:41 am

Re: Stock class heads. No porting

Post by Steve.k » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:50 pm

I have a good buddy who has one. His health not good so thought we might try something. I bought the heads from retired guy and flowed here on bench. My head guy did another set for me with the same work as these but short turn porting they hit 368 and 221 with mpg plates in exh.

user-30257

Re: Stock class heads. No porting

Post by user-30257 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:51 pm

blykins wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:19 pm
Last set that I played with:

.100 98 66
.200 147 103
.300 205 138
.400 260 160
.500 295 174
.600 300 181
.700 312 188
.800 315 188

No port work. Exhaust was flowed without a pipe. Now, there is a caveat. The heads were flowed on a 4.155" bore plate because I was too lazy to swap them out.

As they were, unmolested, one head was 65cc and the other head was 63cc. Cut .040" off of one and .030" off the other to get to 58cc.

That's a 50° seat on the intake side, with Ferrea 2.190/1.710 11/32 valves.
Nice number at .100 normally we plug the spark plug hole when flow testing.

blykins
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2049
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:59 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Stock class heads. No porting

Post by blykins » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:55 pm

Yeah, I usually do too.

This time it was with an Autolite plug.

Same Superflow bench I always use. Let me look back through my book and make sure I didn't fat-finger it.

No need to be snarky about it....

This little engine was 354 cubes, 12:1, with a Strip Dominator intake, HVH 4150/4500 adapter, with a 1050 Dominator that we changed to skirted boosters. Made 620 hp @ 8000. Scat Superlight 3.500" crank, with Molnar 6.400" rods and Racetec pistons.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com

Post Reply