Give me some cylinder wall pics.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dfarr67
Expert
Expert
Give me some cylinder wall pics.

Post by dfarr67 »

Lets see some pics that look bad but are perfectly serviceable. Did the head gaskets on a recently rebuilt sbc 383 and saw some dark verticle lines but nothing a fingernail would catch- didn't like to see that, but I'm not prepared to rering and hone at this time.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Give me some cylinder wall pics.

Post by mag2555 »

Did the failed gaskets allow coolant into these Bores in question?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Gaskets were fine. Long story....part of which was rear china wall was leaking so I pulled intake- this engine did not have timing mark on chain cover so I decided to pull heads and dial gauge in TDC (Crane piston stop I ordered did not have right plug thread at the time). Just didn't like what I saw for price paid on build I didn't take pics, cross hatching visible- but it also might have been poor break in as I sent the truck to to get efi tuned right away (they did a poor job as well, poor tune, I saw evidence of things getting hot). Getting some oil in plenum and just put a air/oil separator in. Runs strong doesn't burn oil at all- but I'm wondering if oil contamination might be root of some odd ping I have. Sounds like a sob story doesn't it, I just have been having a bad run of talent.
Last edited by dfarr67 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

dfarr67 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:24 am Lets see some pics that look bad but are perfectly serviceable. Did the head gaskets on a recently rebuilt sbc 383 and saw some dark verticle lines but nothing a fingernail would catch- didn't like to see that, but I'm not prepared to rering and hone at this time.
If it was inline with the skirt and on the thrust side, it could mean a scuffed over heated skirt.

Seen that before..still ran ok on some but others the oil ring land was deformed and pinched