Toledo Hall valve seat grinding

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Toledo Hall valve seat grinding

Post by 6.50camaro »

To clarify , I was referring to the mounting collar not the the actual stone shape . Sorry if I was not clear on that. Dan
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

6.50camaro wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:13 am To clarify , I was referring to the mounting collar not the the actual stone shape . Sorry if I was not clear on that. Dan
Not sure of your question Dan. I will snap a pic of stone mount later if I remember.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

0805181508.jpg[attachment=1]0805181508.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
631-816-4911
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

Yes those pics show what I meant. Your stones have the same style mounting collar as the EJ model . I only have a couple 45° and 30° usable stones. Just trying to locate a supplier for them. The web don't show any thing yet . I may end up calling Hall Toledo direct and talk to a real person like back in the day.
The machine shop I use had someone give this grinder and accessories to him . I saw it under one of the benches there and asked if I could do some experimenting with it. Dan
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Charlie,
Mine makes yours look new. :lol: Mine just says HALL. There is a a paper pasted to the inside of the door of the metal box that it is in. Check your email I sent this in a larger somewhat more readable size pictures.

Stan

IMAG0371_C.jpg
IMAG0367_S.jpg
IMAG0368_S.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

HT trivia
One of the plus features not obvious at first use is that internal taper on the stone holder.
Works like the tool holder taper on any milling machine. Repeatability was the goal.

You know how every time you remove and install a KW, Sioux or any other stone that depends on the flat face and a piece of cardboard to mount? You have to redress it on every R&R.

Not so with the HT.
Sure,.. you can redress for a feel good moment but you will find that little changes if at all.
The fact that is is an orbital process means it is a single point touch at any time.
That probably also has a lot to do with why redressing is reduced or eliminated.
At least that is my experience.

The closest modern relative to the HT is one of those uber priced single point seat computer driven machines which is supposed to be fast. I do not know that answer.

It always amazes me what the early founders dreamed up and produced precision tools that just worked like HT and Tobin Arp.
Some really nice, precise work can be done with those brands.
For what it's worth the HT and the Tobin Arp products were perceived as the uber priced machines of their day.
Either brand is worth investing in and restoring as needed.
If you need faster, get it out the door.. then modern computer driven, lights out machines are for you.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
liqu

Post by liqu »

I use a Hall now, seat widths are very hard to control, if you just touch it to one side or the other, the seat will get wide on the opposite side (fast), however it makes a nice seat, always concentric, I keep 2 machines with different stones for changing angles.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

liqu wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:00 pm I use a Hall now, seat widths are very hard to control, if you just touch it to one side or the other, the seat will get wide on the opposite side (fast), however it makes a nice seat, always concentric, I keep 2 machines with different stones for changing angles.
never had that problem. Are you feeding too much too soon?
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Since it comes up every now and then I condensed all the HT info I have into a single PDF.
It's available here near the bottom under Other Stuff. https://www.koehlerinjection.com/tech-articles.html
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

0811181405b.jpg
Not a great pic but with some practice this grinder does a nice job. I do like the feed screw feature. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911