Hypereutectic pistons

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Hypereutectic pistons

Post by travis »

Where do you guys draw the line on using hyper pistons...compression/HP/rpm limits? For street stuff, not dedicated racing engines...something expected to go 50k+ miles. Assuming of course the end user can tune well enough to keep it out of detonation
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: Hypereutectic pistons

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Gm used hypereutectic pistons in their GMC Syclone and Typhoon way back in 1991 & 1992/3. Turbo, V6, AWD. 300hp and 400+ tq. They'll last as long as you can keep em out of detonation. Hell, I think they've been low 11's, maybe high 10s in Jeremy Duncan's truck years ago. Something like 1.5s 60' times. Dean Ollar used to pull stock LB4 TBI 4.3L long blocks from the junkyard(don't know if they use hyper pistons though) and run mid to bottom 10s with them. There's guys still running their stock pistons 25 years later so it's not like they're made of glass. As daily drivers, they do great with proper maintenance. Hypereutectic pistons can do the job just fine, imo.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

Back when I was playing around with turbo supra' s the 7mgte came with hypereutectic pistons and the feeling was 100hp per cyl. Was a safe limit . Dan
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

I have a set in a 9.5 CR 389 pontiac for a little over 12 years now with no issue.Tripower 4 speed.Tom
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

Seems like there are a lot of stock-bottom-end LS guys going plenty fast on Hyper pistons. To me, they seem like a better choice for a mild street engine as they can / should be fitted tighter than forged pistons, and a street driver is likely to see plenty of cold operation. Plus, I would suspect that the ring grooves are harder than a forged piston which should help preserve the seal (at least compared to 2618). I may be wrong though