Hit Rev limiter or Floated Valves?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

73c34me

Hit Rev limiter or Floated Valves?

Post by 73c34me »

Getting my 385 sbc sorted enough to give a thorough test. since I last used the car (hard) I switched from a solid lifter cam to a straub hydraulic roller. The spring rates and valve train is set up to Chris’s recommendation. I have a 7000 rpm chip in the msd box. Here is my question. It rpms so quick from 5000 to 7000, I cant tell if the misfire was from hitting the chip or if the hydraulic roller floated. I don’t want to hurt the motor. In the past I never what to worry about float, due to the solid lifters.
140 lbs. closed. 350 lbs open.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Hit Rev limiter or Floated Valves?

Post by MadBill »

With hydraulic lifters, float causes lifter pump-up and that in turn (especially with full travel lifters and significant preload) causes the power to fall off a cliff and it can take some time to even start running again. (When I over-revved my Mom's '56 Dodge, it wouldn't even restart until the lifters bled down. Took about 30 min.)
An easy test would be to put in a 6000 or 6500 chip to experience true limiter function and compare results with what you are experiencing.

" In the past I never what to worry about float, due to the solid lifters."
Err...keep in mind solids float too, it just isn't as drastic until the valves catch up with the pistons. It's really hard on the rollers too.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
73c34me

Post by 73c34me »

There was no recovery time required, it responded normally immediately. Thank you for the quick response.
bobalattie

Post by bobalattie »

If it’s getting to 7k then it’s the limiter, valve float makes it go flat and not gain rpm.. I’d say you are on the chip..

But the spring pressures do seem light for a hydraulic roller at 7k..
73c34me

Post by 73c34me »

Solid lifter: I spun to 7200 rpmswith no issues. I do realize float is possible with a solid cam. Today’s question. I assume I hit the 7000 rpm chip. I didn’t have a chance to look down at the tach. So I don’t know for sure what the rpm was. It was a hard pull in second gear, miss fired- got out of it- eased back into it and the motor was fine. I have heard h- rollers are good to 6500 rpm or so...
thedynoguy

Post by thedynoguy »

I've dyno tested more MSD boxes with chips than I can remember. The one thing I take away from the tests is that I've never seen a MSD rev chip hit later than the value of the chip, a few hit exactly at the value of the chip, and the rest hit before (sometimes way before) the value of the chip. Take you's out and see where the engine revs to. My guess is that it'll go past the 7000RPM point...