bbc drag race header size

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gnicholson
Pro
Pro

bbc drag race header size

Post by gnicholson »

i have a 505 inch bbc that makes 860 hp. the 70 chevelle has 2.125 primaries with merge collectors thar go from 3.25 to 4 inches with 12 inches of collector length. im considering building a 565. my question is how much power will these headers cost over an optimised setup . this is a throttle stop set up so torque from 4k is important
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Re: bbc drag race header size

Post by prairiehotrodder »

i went from 2" hooker headers to 2.25" lemons headers on a 750 hp 540 BBC and gained absolutely nothing. I have no dyno numbers. Just race track timeslips.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

ive experimented with 2 inch to 2 1/8 on my old drag race 454 that made enough steam to run high 9s and also gained nothing. my guess is i would be down 25 hp on a 565.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Actual primary tube diameter is not absolutely critical on a maximum effort race-only engine. This sort of engine should have a step larger section of primary tube, the same distance from the exhaust port for each cylinder. More important is to have short primary tube lengths in conjunction with early-opening exhaust valve in order to use cylinder blow-down in order to help overcome pumping losses at high RPM. Collector length is also an important consideration on maximum effort race-only high RPM application.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

thanks for the response bill. getting short equal length primary tubes in a full chassis chevelle will be a challenge. would it be a good idea to try dynoing some of these 1st to give me some idea? i plan on building whatever i decide on myself out of 321 stainless
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

With that kind of investment in time an money looming, I'd suggest starting with the most effective and inexpensive PipeMax sizing program. It's invaluable for optimizing exhaust dimensions and many other engine specs as well as for general knowledge. Also, sourcing your SS materials from Burns will get you free precise design specs as a bonus: http://www.burnsstainless.com/x-design.aspx
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.