Looking for a Hemi builder

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

8pack
Looking for a Hemi builder

Post by 8pack »

The short version is that the thrust bearing in my 426 Hemi crate engine is toast (>.038) so I am looking for a good shop to disassemble, inspect, repair, reassembled and dyno it for me. I live in the San Francisco bay area and would prefer a shop that is within driving distance (5 hours or so). Any suggestions?

The longer version is that I purchased a lightly used crate Hemi that came out of a car with an automatic that was sold after the owner passed away. I checked one rod, one main, thrust and borescoped the cylinders. Everything was within spec so I installed a Mike Jones solid lifter cam, broke in the cam and reinstalled the new valve springs. Fast forward, I installed it in my AMC Gremlin with a Ram twin disc clutch/A883 and loaded it on the trailer to do some shakedown runs at a local autocross event. After four 1 mins runs we noticed the oil pressure was all over the place going from 0-60psi. We loading it on the trailer and started searching when we got it back to the shop. I cut open the filter and there was some copper and way more metal than I like to see so the first thing we checked was the thrust bearing and it was WAY out of spec.

Im assuming the crankshaft wasn't machined very well and it was fine with an auto but my twin disc clutch caused the issue to arise.
andyf
Guru
Guru

Re: Looking for a Hemi builder

Post by andyf »

Mopar Engines West was in the south bay area, not sure if you can still run them down or not.

Lots of engine builders in the Bay Area so it shouldn't be too hard to find someone who can do the work. Maybe post over on Moparts to see what those guys say.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
8pack

Post by 8pack »

andyf wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:53 pm Mopar Engines West was in the south bay area, not sure if you can still run them down or not.

Lots of engine builders in the Bay Area so it shouldn't be too hard to find someone who can do the work. Maybe post over on Moparts to see what those guys say.
I just sent Rich a message trying to get info on Mopar Engines West.

Good idea about posting on Moparts. Thanks
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

As to the twin disc, I thought the point of the design was to use less pressure plate force on a greater disc area. Why would it take out a thrust on what is considered a strong design?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Brian from Imm engines are Mopar guys. They aren't to far from you
8pack

Post by 8pack »

PackardV8 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:41 pm As to the twin disc, I thought the point of the design was to use less pressure plate force on a greater disc area. Why would it take out a thrust on what is considered a strong design?
Yes and no, a single disc clutch capable of holding a 1000ft/lb would be extremely hard to disengage vs a twin disc but a twin disc that is capable of that still requires more force then a stock clutch.

Some of the Mopar crate engines lack machining quality and Im assuming the poor machining is what killed the thrust bearing.
wonlie67

Post by wonlie67 »

You could try Panella's in Stockton. They have a pretty good Mopar guy there.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

When you tear it apart look the dual disc setup over real good, seen several pulling trucks using dual disc clutches take out the trust because of improper endplay on the trans input shaft into the crank pilot bushing. No clearance or even a little preload when bolted together takes the thrust out quick.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.