Moderator: Team

67 Nova
Pro
Pro

477 BBc 911Hp build

Post by 67 Nova »

Has anyone ever have any input on this build from the AFR heads site:

https://www.airflowresearch.com/911-hp- ... afr-335cc/

I did a 475 a while back and made some pretty good power for what it was. So now I'm sitting with basically the same short block as this build from my "disposable" leftover parts, but +.400 rod and not +.250. Seeing that this was built YEARS ago and newer technology heads/cams/intakes, just wondering what could be done with this style deal now, or duplicated.

And seems the AFR sites 477 is a refined/upgraded build from a earlier Super Chevy build from 2007

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engine ... am-intake/

Just wondering on thoughts. I have seen on other site many people think that the 335 heads were too big for 540`s and now to see them on this 477 is questionable.

Or is there a better head now, like a modified RHS 320 ported FOR this style of build. or are the BB3x 335 a better head for this over the AFR 335.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Re: 477 BBc 911Hp build

Post by prairiehotrodder »

I have the 335 head on a 540 and know others who do as well. I think its a great head and the perfect size for a relatively serious 540.
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

67 Nova wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:03 pm Has anyone ever have any input on this build from the AFR heads site:

https://www.airflowresearch.com/911-hp- ... afr-335cc/

I did a 475 a while back and made some pretty good power for what it was. So now I'm sitting with basically the same short block as this build from my "disposable" leftover parts, but +.400 rod and not +.250. Seeing that this was built YEARS ago and newer technology heads/cams/intakes, just wondering what could be done with this style deal now, or duplicated.

And seems the AFR sites 477 is a refined/upgraded build from a earlier Super Chevy build from 2007

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engine ... am-intake/

Just wondering on thoughts. I have seen on other site many people think that the 335 heads were too big for 540`s and now to see them on this 477 is questionable.

Or is there a better head now, like a modified RHS 320 ported FOR this style of build. or are the BB3x 335 a better head for this over the AFR 335.
How hard do you want to turn it? You could use a 350cc head on it if you spin it high enough.

Many people way under head an engine. Read some of the arguments over the last few months about this. And judge it for yourself.
Also I have never been to fond of OOTB AFR heads. But love porting them, it's fun to see a combo pick up 50+hp with porting alone.
67 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 67 Nova »

Thanks Headguy. This engine will turn some RPM`s if that's what is needed. 7800 is not where near out of the question. RPM`s is your friend on making a car run fast down the track...

This will be tunnelrammed with 13.5/14-1 comp as well. I`ve been a fan of the RHS 320 heads and think there a far better deal then the AFR`s. I`ve sorta follow TPS, NMCA and other N/A classes with conventional heads. The RHS might not be the VERY top of the heap, but with some work there close to some of the top performers. Now some of the new heads like SR20 and X275 stuff is getting very good, but also the cost reflects that. And honestly on this size motor I think those are just too much for the little 477.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

I won't get into the happy dyno results, but if this is a true drag car, most guys set them up to conservatively. They worry about "average" power from like 3500-7000. If you want to leave et and mph on the table, then worry about what it makes at 3500 #-o . Who cares. If you are targeting 7800+ rpm, then you should have a 6500+ converter in it, and the appropriate rear end gear to run about 8000 thru the lights. If you want to be fast. So, if you worry about "average" power starting at 3500, which a lot of guys talk about, and you run a 6500 converter, does what it makes at 3500 even remotely matter? I just #-o myself all the time. Now, I am talking a drag car. So, a bigger head works just fine and usually better, if you want to be fast that is. If you target the proper rpm. 335cc heads are NOT to big for a 540. If it was a heavy car, conservative on the converter, maybe not the right gear, then I would stay conservative on port size like that. But if your building a true drag car, that you are trying to run the fastest possible, then rpm and aggressive converter and enough gear is what will make you fast. Then a bigger head will be faster.
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

Man I could not stop at 911 HP Just to close to 2 hp per cube. You need 954 hp :D Nice motor =D>
67 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 67 Nova »

Frankshaft wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:07 am I won't get into the happy dyno results, but if this is a true drag car, most guys set them up to conservatively. They worry about "average" power from like 3500-7000. If you want to leave et and mph on the table, then worry about what it makes at 3500 #-o . Who cares. If you are targeting 7800+ rpm, then you should have a 6500+ converter in it, and the appropriate rear end gear to run about 8000 thru the lights. If you want to be fast. So, if you worry about "average" power starting at 3500, which a lot of guys talk about, and you run a 6500 converter, does what it makes at 3500 even remotely matter? I just #-o myself all the time. Now, I am talking a drag car. So, a bigger head works just fine and usually better, if you want to be fast that is. If you target the proper rpm. 335cc heads are NOT to big for a 540. If it was a heavy car, conservative on the converter, maybe not the right gear, then I would stay conservative on port size like that. But if your building a true drag car, that you are trying to run the fastest possible, then rpm and aggressive converter and enough gear is what will make you fast. Then a bigger head will be faster.
Frank, I'm not afraid to turn a bunch of RPM in a BBc. My Lil 498 CONVERTER is over 1500 higher than your example. That 498 turns over 9800RPM, makes PEAK at 9500. I am really looking forward to tunnel ramming this and putting on a respectable head. I'm quite sure I know what way I'm going with heads/intake and that will lead me towards camshaft.

Car is only 8.50 so can't run super fast.
67 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 67 Nova »

econo racer wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:35 am Man I could not stop at 911 HP Just to close to 2 hp per cube. You need 954 hp :D Nice motor =D>
Certainly not out of the question. 2hp/inch can take some doing though. Not sure there is enough here for that...