Ls3 trunion upgrade.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jet1
Pro
Pro

Ls3 trunion upgrade.

Post by jet1 »

I received a Brian Tooley Racing trunion upgrade kit that the customer had gotten for his build. Looks good ,however I was expecting to see bushings not needle bearings. Looking for opinions on this for an extreme endurance engine running around 6000-6500.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: Ls3 trunion upgrade.

Post by midnightbluS10 »

There's 2 different kits. The original upgrade of caged needle bearings, like your customer provided, and the trunnion bushing upgrade. See if you can return those to BTR and pick up a bushing kit from him. Considering it's an endurance application, I'd want nothing less.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
3pedals

Post by 3pedals »

Many inter web posts about bronze glitter in the oil of new ls builds....
It is coming from the bronze rocker bushing kits....
I like the bearings.
jet1
Pro
Pro

Post by jet1 »

Thanks guys. I ordered a set CHE ones so I will have both for the guy to decide on. Anymore input is greatly appreciated.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Anyone here have a terrible experience with the stock bearings? Ive seen high mileage, neglected stuff with needle bearings in the pan. But I've yet to fail one on my own stuff. Not saying they can't or don't. Im just reluctant to introduce issues to something I haven't had issues with. A friend has the Smith Bros bushings installed in his LS7, been in there awhile, also no issues.
A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Post by A_VAS »

I've found it just as cost effective to replace the rockers with new GM units...if there's concern with the needle bearings.
You can replace them every time you do a spring change for instance...for about the same cost as these bushing kits.

new intake/exh rockers from GM run about $200-220 for 16 pcs.
too lazy to make power w/o boost
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

A_VAS wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:00 am I've found it just as cost effective to replace the rockers with new GM units...if there's concern with the needle bearings.
You can replace them every time you do a spring change for instance...for about the same cost as these bushing kits.

new intake/exh rockers from GM run about $200-220 for 16 pcs.
Yeah, you can find them for about 10.00ea. I like the idea of just cycling out the GM parts, that's my plan with the lifters on my LS3 build.
3pedals

Post by 3pedals »

I have abused the hell out of a few sets of high mileage ls3 rockers, and never had 1 fail.
I'm talking 7800rpm shifts with a junk yard 6.0 10second 5dpd GForce stick shift combo.

EDIT: I have never had the bearings fail, but I did make some mistakes and destroy the rocker tip surfaces on 1 aggressively cammed combo
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

the early ones had some durability problems with the needles popping out and GM fixed that because it was costing them warranty money. I owned a 97, 99, 02, 05 and 08 corvettes and never had a problem.
A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Post by A_VAS »

little food for thought, if you are considering the trunnion 'upgrade'

I removed and disassembled this engine last week (not mine), LS3, ~20K miles on the rockers after trunnions were changed to the Comp kit.
shafts aren't hard enough is my guess, the needles just tear them up
after enough clearance develops, the needles fall out...then the rocker is running off kilter on the valve tip
not good.
I've never seen a GM stock rocker fail like this
needles all thru the engine...valve tips chewed up, etc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

That's very disturbing A_VAS. Was it just the one or do they all show bad signs?
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Post by A_VAS »

In-Tech wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:16 am That's very disturbing A_VAS. Was it just the one or do they all show bad signs?
7 of the exhaust rockers seem fine. 1 was starting to loosen up
all 8 intakes were shot.
maybe the intake side loads the needles / trunnion wierd or something due to the offset
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

That sounds reasonable, I didn't pay attn. when you stated ls3. I feel a bit better and will keep my fingers crossed for the very few LS1 type rockers I have put those trunnion kits in during a cam change. Those $10.00 new stock rockers don't look too bad after all. :shock:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl