Speedmaster aluminum block

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PbFlinger
Re: Speedmaster aluminum block

Post by PbFlinger »

Though structurally deficient in some other applications, I have found bread to be near unbeatable in the construction of a sandwich.
grant6395
Pro
Pro

Post by grant6395 »

PbFlinger wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:04 pm Though structurally deficient in some other applications, I have found bread to be near unbeatable in the construction of a sandwich.
Lol now that's good humour 👍
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

grant6395 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:38 pm
PbFlinger wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:04 pm Though structurally deficient in some other applications, I have found bread to be near unbeatable in the construction of a sandwich.
Grant are you going to try that block?
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

white bread or wheat?
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

So after 18 pages......

Would you buy one? #-o
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

I wouldnt buy one if they better than Dart and 28 pages. Im all cleveland thats it. Bbf after that. That doesn't mean it no good however.
grant6395
Pro
Pro

Post by grant6395 »

Steve.k wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:14 pm
grant6395 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:38 pm
Grant are you going to try that block?
Yes. But not for my new engine. I have some nice leftover stuff I'll put to use.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

It will be interesting to see what it will take.The block does look like its finished to a decent finish in pics.Are you staying cast or alloy Dart?
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

blykins wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:00 am
groberts101 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:36 am IIRC, David Reher said they lose about 40 horses on their Aluminum block pro-stock stuff. Also said they run a different cam in those deals to spin them a little more to make up the deficit.

Considering those are around 1300-1400 horsepower 10,000+ rpm combinations.. seems like pissing into the wind to pointlessly argue about a lower power application speedmaster block being down on power just because it's made out of aluminum. But.. some guys like to constantly pick turds out of gnats asses so here we are again.

Wasn't born yesterday either and I'd take my 357 cast aluminum World 18 bolt SBF block over any OEM cast block any day. Even if it's down 20 horse.. who gives a gnats ass when weight reduction negates the loss and helps me turn faster.
So if RM can add another camshaft to an aluminum block engine and get 40 more hp, why don't they do it on the cast iron blocks and be 40 hp ahead?

I know that both Keith Craft and Blair Patrick have seen 30-40 hp differences between cast iron and aluminum FE block combinations at the 700 hp level. That's 5%. I've also seen similar discrepancies on some of my FE stuff.
That was exactly my first thought as well but that blog or blurb did not go into any further detail on the subject. Considering the source I'd guess there was sound reasoning behind it. And at that level of competition I'd lay cash he wasn't discussing "cast anything" and probably even HIP'd as well.

I do most certainly beleive that Al blocks have their downsides, especially budget oriented castings, but still stand by my original thesis on the subject. Worrying about potential losses on anything built with a "speedmaster anything" foundation is like needlessly spurring a poor little shetland pony just to get it to run like a real racehorse. You obviously saved some cash when you bought it so just enjoy it for what it is.
canuc

Post by canuc »

paging Grant6395 , hi I was wondering if you ever built your speedmaster aluminum engine ? Any results you would care to share , good bad or otherwise . Thanks
Bwh998

Post by Bwh998 »

I just read all 18 pages at work this morning. Thanks guys.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:03 pm
Frankshaft wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:26 pm
amc fan wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:33 pm I was wondering myself and if anyone looked at the one for a small block Chevrolet also.
Buy it up. People amaze me. Fuckin company sells literal garbage, has been sued 50 times from stealing other companies products, then they file bankruptcy, rename the company, sell the same shit, and people are still dumb enough to buy it. WOW
Didn't somebody post that Molnar imports rods from China? But nobody ever complains about that. They just buy em up. What's the difference? Other than one has a well-known name so it leads people to assume they're American made? His website says some are "...finished in the USA". That could be something like honing the ends. But that's OK?
I would like to think the difference here would be actual quality control measures. Like it or not China is capable of making a good product, it just boils down to what the customer is willing to pay for. If you want junk, spot checked every 100th part they can give you that.. if you want quality with 1 out of every ten parts checked for quality and adherence to specifications? Well they can do that to. It just seems like the age old adage is still relevant here.. you get what you pay for. Just my $.02, your mileage may vary.
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

^^^^^^ right up there is the answer....yes they can produce top quality, just don't turn your back or they'll be straight back at increasing their profit margin without consulting you.....
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

It gets me how people talk about made in China parts I remember when they said the same thing about made in Japan parts now most people in America can’t live without a made in Japan what ever.I also remember some on the Edelbrock stuff people complained about that stuff until edelbrock had to start changing how they manufactured there stuff, so the complainers will always be there I buy stuff that I can afford without taking mortgage out on my house and if needs to be tweeked the machine shops can do it.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

What intake manifold can you use on these heads?