I looked for the right tech, dept but can't find one

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

oldhead
Expert
Expert

I looked for the right tech, dept but can't find one

Post by oldhead »

Theres is no right place to ask this so here goes.....I want to freshen up the fuel ,I last filled my fuel tank in my 1980 Malibu in Oct. last year and have driven about 10 miles twice then, it has a Magna fuel 500 pumo and #10 supply and return lines..I think remove as much as possible then refill with 5 gallons of 94 oct. run the pump for 10 minutes, drain and refill with 5 gallons more start up and drive alittle using the secondary a little too, and do it again......Can I use the old gas in my 1995 Wagon daily car ??? Oldhead
Quicker then most
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Re: I looked for the right tech, dept but can't find one

Post by oldhead »

What about mixing with fresh to use it up?? OLDHEAD
Quicker then most
barnym17
Guru
Guru

Post by barnym17 »

That's what I would do, drain as much as you can mix with fresh and use in daily driver.I would probabl0y0 try even just mixing fresh in your tank and run it out. Gas doesn't go bad that quickly we have several pieces of equipment that set all winter long fire it up in spring and go.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

2X. Fill up the tank with a Top Tier™ rated brand (for max detergentcy) and drive on.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
emsvitil
Pro
Pro

Post by emsvitil »

yes old gas in lawn mower
Ed
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

The suggestion of a running it thru a lawn mower or weedwhacker, suitably diluted: that's what a friend used to do with leftover nitro from his fueler. He says his neighbors often walk around their property sniffing the air and looking confused about the odor in the air.... The rows of blown-up 392 Chrysler blocks painted white with flowers in the cylinders that line his driveway should be a clue.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

October to now ......... I would get in it and drive it. My Wifes car sat for almost a year with half a tank of 87 in it while I was doing the engine and trans. Started up and ran fine like nothing had happened. Don't know how much yours holds but maybe put some easy miles on it then refill it ?? Personally I think you are worrying too much about it.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com