Valve gear and springs

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ratu
Expert
Expert
Valve gear and springs

Post by Ratu »

A while back I aked about rev kits. Since then I have ahd a chance to read up a lot more about them. This brings me to a question for which I have not found anything in the literature. And here it is!

Why not use the rev kit springs located concentric to the pushrods in the valley to control the entire valvetrain? There would be no valve springs in the cylinder head at all. That would mean a lot more room to bring the ports out higher in the head (giving a straighter shot at the valves with much relaxed short-side radius). There would be enough room in the valley to employ longer springs better able to cope with high lifts (suffering lower stresses while doing so). Of course the valves would need to be mechanically attached to the rockers in some way (else they'd just fall straight into the combustion chamber), but that has been done before. A "top hat" restrained on the valve by the collets and trapped by the end of a forked rocker arm would be one method. There are other schemes as well.

Comments or ideas?