Pitot tube problems

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Pitot tube problems

Post by BILL-C »

I accidently got clay stuck in end of tube and took apart to clean.It hasn't been right since. Leaks are likely the problem. Anyone have any ideas on how to calibrate? Possibly make a straight tube adapted to bench and suck through at known depression and theoretical velocity? I need help with math.
Carlquist Competition Engines
gnash
Re: Pitot tube problems

Post by gnash »

The manufacturer of your probe should have a calibration factor for your probe. If it does not work correctly at that factor then it is damaged, and re calibration is not practical. It would be like trying to balance a wheel that is not round.
If you do not have a calibration factor for your probe, one can be surmised from the dimensions. Tube diameter and distance of static ports from tip.
If it is an S-type probe then the calibration factor would be .84 - .83 of reading.
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

We fixed the pitot tube. I didn’t have the tiny inner tube pushed into its home. That sucker is really small and hard to see!
Carlquist Competition Engines
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

If your like me Bill ( far sited) at times younger eyes, or a magnafiing visor are needed, lol!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!