Oil rings----SS50 or Hastings

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CGT
Guru
Guru
Oil rings----SS50 or Hastings

Post by CGT »

I've noticed that the SS50 style oil ring seems to be going extinct. Most everything is what I call the "hastings" or 'perfect circle' type. I haven't really had issues specifically with either. I thought I'd see what others experiences have been with those 2 types of rings.....advantages, disadvantages etc.....
Diodedog
Pro
Pro
Re: Oil rings----SS50 or Hastings

Post by Diodedog »

The Hastings are easier to adjust tension, just grind to the fit you want.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

CGT wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:33 am I've noticed that the SS50 style oil ring seems to be going extinct. Most everything is what I call the "hastings" or 'perfect circle' type. I haven't really had issues specifically with either. I thought I'd see what others experiences have been with those 2 types of rings.....advantages, disadvantages etc.....
To me, whatever expander type is not an issue ... it is the radial dimension of the rails and their flexability.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

Unfortunately, the SS50U tooling is going away, it is wearing out and not being replaced. I'm really annoyed about it. I prefer the SS50U design, I just choose the expander that gives me the tension I like and I'm good. I really do not like the Hastings "mini flex vent" ring at all. But it seems we're stuck with it.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

There are some SS50 expanders being manufactured overseas but the quality is not even close to the original Sealed Power/SPX design. I think the Hastings/Perfect Circle/MAHLE flex vent is a much better product than the SS50 ring. Many of us began using the SS50 oil ring in the 60's and 70's when they were the only factory-produced oil ring assembly available with specific tension values. Now just about all of the ring manufacturers offer specific oil ring tension ranges.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist