proform carb body swap

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

tabbott

proform carb body swap

Post by tabbott »

have a holley 650 double pumper and swapped out main body with proform style (800 cfm rating) and throttle plate (with new billet) since my bbFord has been mildly modifed.

429 bored .030, ported (gasket matched) stock heads, (had heads flowed by 3rd party) 280 cam-(.480's lifts), performer rpm intake, roller rockers, lower end blueprinted-balanced, shot peen rods, ARP studs-bolts, elec fuel pump, elec-fans, etc.

THis is the first time the engine has been fired ( I was able to run-in for 30 minutes) and I am noticing proform carb is giving me some un wanted issues: the #25 squirters on the passenger side seem to miss the venturies completely, I ve tried slight adjustments on them and changing them with and without extended nozzles with no change. I believe this is causing fuel to run down the carb wall and seep out the throttle plates shafts. Just enough seepage to leave stain on intake. I also read another post regarding the performer rpm and the different plug readings for different cylinders. I noticed #1 cyl lean, 2-3-6-7 tan, 4-8 extremly wet and black. I realize I may have to continue to "play" with carb spacing and such. I also am in the process of going tho a holley 750 HP carb because the proform is scaring me with its squirters missing the venturis. Is it junk? the venturis look centered by eye, thanks
Walline

Post by Walline »

I have seen one proform body used, and it worked fine. The car even picked up with it. It sounds to me like you hav a severe fuel problem ,if you are seeing plugs that are wet! Are you sure that body interchanges with your part number? (fuel should not run out when the accelerator pumps are not squirting. Are you sure it is set up correctly?)
Speedy Goomba

Post by Speedy Goomba »

My first suggestion is to replace the squirters with different squirters. I have a proform bodied 700dp on my car now, and it works fine.

I'm the guy who had the different readings cylinder to cylinder. It varied depending on which side of the manifold it was drawing from, and this is due to the depth of the plenum change on each side of the manifold.

My didnt vary is much as your saying though, mine went from light tan to gray cylinder to cylinder.....not white to wet.

#25 squirter seems awfully small.

I have #37s on my pump gas small block and it leaves hard off the footbrake going 1.55 60fts.
117.42MPH
1.46 60 foot(footbrake)
7.03 @ 94.65
3215 lb. '67 Camaro

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c181/SpeedyGoomba/
tabbott

Post by tabbott »

Thanks for the replies, I went back thru the proform conversion. I think I may have some other issues with floats. (1 possibly bad). Im gonna shelve it for now. the 750 HP holly is on the motor now and seems fine. I have to get this thing on the road already its been about 10 years since the poor thing saw dayllight. It looks like I can test drive it tomorrow. Thanks again for the response, I will be messing with the proform carb in the future.
Travis
Speedy Goomba

Post by Speedy Goomba »

between the two of them, i'd do exactly what you're doing and stick with the HP750.
117.42MPH
1.46 60 foot(footbrake)
7.03 @ 94.65
3215 lb. '67 Camaro

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c181/SpeedyGoomba/