Sideways mounted Double Pumers on this intake?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

427dart
Expert
Expert
Sideways mounted Double Pumers on this intake?

Post by 427dart »

This is a pic of the flat cut intake with mine being the taller version but plenum layout is the same.

Looks like mixture distribution would work out the same due to there being a figure 8 crossover connecting the runners at the plenum.
Might setup a pair of mock up DP's and see how it and linkage would fit. Would have to make up an adapter to get the throttle bores to line up though.
But is it worth all the trouble for mechanical secondaries?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972ho
Guru
Guru
Re: Sideways mounted Double Pumers on this intake?

Post by 1972ho »

So if you mount them sideways all your primary’s will dump into the upper plenum and secondary’s in the lower plenum your idle will pull on the upper plenum on the primaries.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

1972ho wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:49 am So if you mount them sideways all your primary’s will dump into the upper plenum and secondary’s in the lower plenum your idle will pull on the upper plenum on the primaries.
No if you look closely there would still be a primary for an upper and lower level just as it is with the carbs mounted straight.

Just thoughts on how it would work.
rq375

Post by rq375 »

Every hole is opposite of the one next to it as far as upper or lower plenum, Primary and secondary are paired to the plenums on the diagonal. It might balance slightly better if you mount them one rotated 90 right and one rotated 90 left. I plan on trying 4224s with power valves and factory type progressive linkage on mine, mounted inline (backwards)
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

1972ho wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:49 am So if you mount them sideways all your primary’s will dump into the upper plenum and secondary’s in the lower plenum your idle will pull on the upper plenum on the primaries.
Not true ... it may look that way on the outside but, look down the carb holes. They are "X" patterned.

I have used an "LS" Holley version of that manifold with sideways mounted carbs on a street rod and it works very well.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

rq375 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:18 pm Every hole is opposite of the one next to it as far as upper or lower plenum, Primary and secondary are paired to the plenums on the diagonal. It might balance slightly better if you mount them one rotated 90 right and one rotated 90 left. I plan on trying 4224s with power valves and factory type progressive linkage on mine, mounted inline (backwards)
So you have the same Price Motorsport intake? What's your engine combo? 4224 being the Center squirter, will it puddle fuel in the closed secondaries if you delay the throttle progression much?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

427dart wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:48 pm
rq375 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:18 pm Every hole is opposite of the one next to it as far as upper or lower plenum, Primary and secondary are paired to the plenums on the diagonal. It might balance slightly better if you mount them one rotated 90 right and one rotated 90 left. I plan on trying 4224s with power valves and factory type progressive linkage on mine, mounted inline (backwards)
So you have the same Price Motorsport intake? What's your engine combo? 4224 being the Center squirter, will it puddle fuel in the closed secondaries if you delay the throttle progression much?
A center squirter will not work without some major modifications to the throttle linkage as it will not clear the intake surface when mounted sideways ... double pumper carbs will.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
rq375

Post by rq375 »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:44 am
A center squirter will not work without some major modifications to the throttle linkage as it will not clear the intake surface when mounted sideways ... double pumper carbs will.
408w, AFR 205s, under construction. I will get it up and running on the 1850s I have changed to BJ/BK orifice specs. I plan on trying the 4224s mounted inline, not sideways with the factory style linkage that is progressive between the two carbs, not progressive between primary and secondary.
psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Post by psychomotors »

Or convert the base plates to double pumper plates as the ones I have were done. I bought a pair for my tunnel ram from a buddy who paid a guy to convert to the Grumpy style( 850 plates) , turns out that he just used the blocks and throttle plates from a couple 750 dps. Ran great though. Just an option.
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

rq375 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:00 am

408w, AFR 205s, under construction. I will get it up and running on the 1850s I have changed to BJ/BK orifice specs. I plan on trying the 4224s mounted inline, not sideways with the factory style linkage that is progressive between the two carbs, not progressive between primary and secondary.
I started with 1850 series 600 carbs also and later converted them to 650's with the 750 type baseplates and also modifying the carb body venturi exit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

427dart,
I don't think that you are going to realize any performance gains from mounting carbs sideways on a 180 degree manifold such as this one.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

engineguyBill wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:26 pm 427dart,
I don't think that you are going to realize any performance gains from mounting carbs sideways on a 180 degree manifold such as this one.
That idea was for more clearance to mount a pair of double pumpers. This is all just looking at what it might take....not that I would make the swap.