Tunnel Ram 467 Engine Build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Frankshaft
Guru
Guru
Re: Tunnel Ram 467 Engine Build

Post by Frankshaft »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:24 pm I just watched your youtube video of the 650 hp 496 and the video showing your chevelle street drive. I think i'm finally starting to put together the pieces of the puzzle why its so quick with what seems relatively plain parts.
To my way of thinking, the motor is under cammed and the car is over geared. Thats just the way i've learned to think. But the fact is it works really well so why ? I'm guessing its got a convertor that keeps the motor in a very small rpm range as well. The 3 speed tranny along with the ATI convertor and the 4.56 gears would have the motor within a very small rpm range all the time. Also the motor is designed to breath well past where the cam peaks in power. Therefore in the traps its still pulling well past its peak hp rpm. What rpm is the motor at on the finish line ? What is the convertor stall speed ? Does the weight in the trunk make the car faster or slower ? I think that if it every spun it would be a wasted run. This car needs to dead hook which it does very well. I know this is a little off topic of this thread but i didn't know where else to put it.
Keep the videos coming !!! Great job !
Brian
Finally, someone gets it!! But, isn't average Power where it's at? I think he is giving up et/mph with the small cam,but he knows that. I am pretty sure the engine is meant for more of a "streeter". If his Engine runs in a 1000 rpm window say, pull 1500-2000 rpm out of the converter, and put in a more street friendly gear, and I bet that thing is a second slower and loses a bunch of mph. But, it would be using more of the "average" power. Why is that?
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

well the average power is way less than the peak power. If the car is setup to use the peak power and not the average power it will be way faster.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:53 pm well the average power is way less than the peak power. If the car is setup to use the peak power and not the average power it will be way faster.
Thank you.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Frankshaft wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:46 pm
prairiehotrodder wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:24 pm I just watched your youtube video of the 650 hp 496 and the video showing your chevelle street drive. I think i'm finally starting to put together the pieces of the puzzle why its so quick with what seems relatively plain parts.
To my way of thinking, the motor is under cammed and the car is over geared. Thats just the way i've learned to think. But the fact is it works really well so why ? I'm guessing its got a convertor that keeps the motor in a very small rpm range as well. The 3 speed tranny along with the ATI convertor and the 4.56 gears would have the motor within a very small rpm range all the time. Also the motor is designed to breath well past where the cam peaks in power. Therefore in the traps its still pulling well past its peak hp rpm. What rpm is the motor at on the finish line ? What is the convertor stall speed ? Does the weight in the trunk make the car faster or slower ? I think that if it every spun it would be a wasted run. This car needs to dead hook which it does very well. I know this is a little off topic of this thread but i didn't know where else to put it.
Keep the videos coming !!! Great job !
Brian
Finally, someone gets it!! But, isn't average Power where it's at? I think he is giving up et/mph with the small cam,but he knows that. I am pretty sure the engine is meant for more of a "streeter". If his Engine runs in a 1000 rpm window say, pull 1500-2000 rpm out of the converter, and put in a more street friendly gear, and I bet that thing is a second slower and loses a bunch of mph. But, it would be using more of the "average" power. Why is that?
Exactly RPM wins!
Craig.