tunnel ram results

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Re: tunnel ram results

Post by prairiehotrodder »

thanks for the info, sounds like there are lots of opposing ideas about AV out there. There is no way i am going to run race gas and if the AV gas doesn't work i will simply take my motor back apart and lower the compression. Due to a few racers experience that they have shared with me i am willing to take the risk and give it a try.

Around here there is a bunch of guys that buy it for dirt bikes and snowmobiles. They seem to like it. It just about seems to me that it is less of a risk than pump premium which contains ethanol and may sit in the underground tanks for a long time and i don't know how well it is monitored. After running pump gas for a number of years i had to replace my main fuel line this spring. I wonder if the AV gas will damage the fuel lines more or less from sitting over the winter? And is it better to drain the gas and let it dry up or let it sit in the lines ?
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:55 pm thanks for the info, sounds like there are lots of opposing ideas about AV out there. There is no way i am going to run race gas and if the AV gas doesn't work i will simply take my motor back apart and lower the compression. Due to a few racers experience that they have shared with me i am willing to take the risk and give it a try.

Around here there is a bunch of guys that buy it for dirt bikes and snowmobiles. They seem to like it. It just about seems to me that it is less of a risk than pump premium which contains ethanol and may sit in the underground tanks for a long time and i don't know how well it is monitored. After running pump gas for a number of years i had to replace my main fuel line this spring. I wonder if the AV gas will damage the fuel lines more or less from sitting over the winter? And is it better to drain the gas and let it dry up or let it sit in the lines ?
Trust us, it will work. It won't corrode stuff like ethanol will. You would swear it's race gas. The smell in the tank, the smell coming from it running too. It evaporates off your hands just like race gas and won't leave that fuel odor.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:55 pm thanks for the info, sounds like there are lots of opposing ideas about AV out there.
Most, if mot all those with negative opinions on AV gas is from those that haven't tried it.
But,.... some can screw up anything and will be looking for something to blame it on.

I was dynoing an engine at Creason's and he came in carrying a carb and said this guy blew his engine up and said the carb did it, and wanted to know if I'd mind putting it on my engine for a few pulls to see what's up with it. I said sure, he said are you sure ??? I said yes, I'll put it on. he said but it blew this guys engine up with a smile LOL. I put it on and Joe made one pull and said nope, that didn't blow his engine up. LOL
Nice flat fuel curve.

If the guy had tried AV gas for first time at that same race, he'd say AV gas BLEW HIS ENGINE UP !!!! LOL :lol:
prairiehotrodder wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:55 pm I wonder if the AV gas will damage the fuel lines more or less from sitting over the winter? And is it better to drain the gas and let it dry up or let it sit in the lines ?
I've probably burnt more AV gas than race gas in my life, including my flying time I'm sure I have.
AV gas is probably the best storing fuel out there. I switch my mover etc over to AV gas for strorage and they fire right up next spring. Much better than pump gas.
Run it in my chain saw, weed eater, concrete saw, cause they all sit at times.

Think about it?? Would you want a fuel in an airplane that doesn't store well ? Most small piston engine planes sit a lot. Some times months at a time. No one drains the fuel and puts fresh in when they fly again.

Of course,..it's for high altitude !!! How high is "high altutude" ????
Do they have "low altitude" AV gas ?
I mean if your taking off from Cocoa Beach, FL should you be using "high altitude" fuel ???
May not be able to get off the ground without "low altitude" fuel !!!!
Maybe we should look up the NTSB reports on air plane accidents and see how many are blamed on the "wrong altitude" fuel ???

:mrgreen:

Randy
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

I've used it with 11, 12.5, and 13.5 CR drag motors. No downside vs. race gas. Great stuff. Exhaust smells good too!
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Ron E wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:53 pm Exhaust smells good too!
That's the best part!
treyrags
Pro
Pro

Post by treyrags »

Frankshaft wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:59 pm It evaporates off your hands just like race gas and won't leave that fuel odor.
I use it to final wash internal parts for that reason LOL. Dries super clean.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

I recenly swicthed to 100LL from exxon 93 with enough vp octanium to get the octane up to 99 . Went from having the car nicely dialed-in to a 6.49 1/8 on a 6.50 index to 6.45 and plugs are looking rich. Took 2 jet sizes out looked better but still a little on the rich side. Took 2 more sizes out but have not been able to run because of rain every saturday since Labor day weekend. Had to my peddle stop out a couple turns .Dan
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

i was reading an article last night where LL100 -RF100 avgas will no longer be available in Australia for any form of motor sports from mid 2019.I cannot verify this statement but the options for myself are-
Sunoco 260 GT - $175 for 20 lt $1350 for 200lt contains corn juice
VP ms 101- $240 for 20 lt these are $ AUS
not very cost effective for a budget bracket racer like myself,
at the moment i can buy 200 lt sealed drum supplied from BP refinery to speedway motors performance company for around $2.50lt pick up price this is for RF100 avgas
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Well if you guys can buy it and it works use it. In the communist province we live in they won't even sell it to you unless you pull up to pump with your Twin Otter. Ive tried a few times no luck. I even was chatting cousin who has pilots license he said they used to be able to get from pumps in 5 gallon jerry cans but now will only fill if it flies. Likely more to do with gov. Tax.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

steve cowan wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:14 pm i was reading an article last night where LL100 -RF100 avgas will no longer be available in Australia for any form of motor sports from mid 2019.I cannot verify this statement but the options for myself are-
Sunoco 260 GT - $175 for 20 lt $1350 for 200lt contains corn juice
VP ms 101- $240 for 20 lt these are $ AUS
not very cost effective for a budget bracket racer like myself,
at the moment i can buy 200 lt sealed drum supplied from BP refinery to speedway motors performance company for around $2.50lt pick up price this is for RF100 avgas
Correct Steve re the fuels not being used in Aust for racing. Pondered the swap to E85 or Meth, just shed racing these thoughts right now. Can still get LL100 for non race events so a more compatable fuel still seems attractive.
Craig.